Thread: I'm bound to be doing this wrong (win2k)

Default I'm bound to be doing this wrong (win2k)

Hi, had a problem (adware.purityscan.ah) with family computer (five users, incl. 3 kids). It is an 800Mhz 512Mb Ram machine. In the end I did a complete new install of windows from original cd, reformatted the hard disk and did ENDLESS microsoft updates, so it is now brand spanking new with Win2000 sp4 and every update known to mankind!! Soooo, then I installed avg free and spybot to avoid aforesaid problem happening again. At that point (as administrator) I created five users and made them all administrators too (don't be too hard on me about that). My spybot protection and tea timer seemed to be only working for the administrator (icon in tray with padlock). So, I installed spybot five more times in each user thingy, logged on as respective family members. Dammit, but then I got a proliferation of users on the computer, so as well as the five names I ended upwith another five users I never created (?) all concatenated with the .computername and then when I had a crack at some of those, I ended upwith username.computername.0000 so now instead of five users I have fifteen users. CLEARLY, I don't have any idea what I'm doing. Seems a shame to mess up all my efforts too. Aside from figuring out how to delete the folder-tree for all these users, is there something I should have done to install spybot (1.6) once only so that tea timer would have worked for all the users (numbskulls) who use this computer, without installing for each of them. Anyway, do you reckon this is what has caused Win2000 to create the extra users? the computer is not on a domain, but it is in a workgroup called WORKGROUP. The ONLY other thing I have done is try to set up outlook for each user with a mail account and to copy over my document files and outlook pst file from portable hard drive.

After installing Spybot once,you don't have to install it to each numbskulls account.(Sorry,couldn't resist.)
    You just have to activate teatimer on each account by opening Spybot,clicking mode,advanced mode,tools,resident,and checkmarking Resident "Teatimer".Also,Resident "SDhelper" if you'd like that on each account,and it isn't already checkmarked.

Thanks, that is easy. I spent a fair bit of time on delprof to get rid of the profiles and started over with five new (numbskulls). I have done the advanced tick, to get tea timer running five times. Indeed time will tell, but I think we are on to it. Awesome.

You're welcome,glad you got the numbskulls all set up.