Thread: My Experience with S&D-TT 1.6

Default My Experience with S&D-TT 1.6

I have been using S&D and TT for several years now and have been very satisified with it - until now.

The new 1.6 version has been nothing but a headache. I'll list my issues here:

1) The automatic default for Temp cleaning. It nailed me and I lost several important files. Default Should Not be to Yes!! By the time I saw the problem and found the Tweak, it was too late.

2) Exactly what Temp folders does S&D try and clean out? There are quite a few if you start counting all the users on the computer.

3) When I tried to do the tweak, I found that there was no Tweak subsection in the registry as I read about here.

4) The torso image on the Tea Timer icon is distracting when it moves. Whoever thought of that idea must have been bored. Honestly, I have never seen another icon next to the clock rotate or be in motion.

5) Contrary to the Facts section here on SpyBot, it is not fast. The question that has a user ask Why is it So Fast is misleading. The 1.6 version takes almost twice as long as the 1.5.2 to load and scan. Perhaps part of the problem can be found in the size of the download. 1.6 is considerable larger than 1.5.2.

6) I have uninstalled 1.6 and reinstalled 1.5.2. I did update the TT though. Wish there was a way to turn off the rotating torso.

7) If All Previous versions, including 1.5.2, will no longer be supported, I just don't know what to do. The 1.6 causes just too many user non friendly problems.

FYI: I am using a P4@3.2g, 2gbRam, W2000ProWsp4 and keep very few programs running at the same time, if any at all. Yes, I know that there will always be a few though.

Please - Please if anyone has thoughts or suggestions for me, please post them here.

Thanks a bunch, Steve (k2710)
    Last edited by k2710; 2008-09-03 at 02:08.

Lightbulb hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by k2710 View Post
    I have been using S&D and TT for several years now and have been very satisified with it - until now.

The new 1.6 version has been nothing but a headache. I'll list my issues here:

1) The automatic default for Temp cleaning. It nailed me and I lost several important files. Default Should Not be to Yes!! By the time I saw the problem and found the Tweak, it was too late.

You lost several important files? Nothing extremely important would be located in the temporary files folder as far as i know, but then again I am not sure what you mean....what kind of files did you lose? They currently know about this and in future versions the user will be asked about what they would like to do with this issue. See: http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278

2) Exactly what Temp folders does S&D try and clean out? There are quite a few if you start counting all the users on the computer.

It is the same temp folder that disk cleanup would empty if temporary files were checked. (Not temporary internet files)

3) When I tried to do the tweak, I found that there was no Tweak subsection in the registry as I read about here.

I'm skipping this one as a team member would be better at helping you with this. sorry..

4) The torso image on the Tea Timer icon is distracting when it moves. Whoever thought of that idea must have been bored. Honestly, I have never seen another icon next to the clock rotate or be in motion.

Avast antiviruis, and other programs do have some animation in the notification tray, if you do not like it, you can hide teatimer in start menu properties under notification area. Hide inactive icons, choose teatimer always hide. That is something you can do to keep from seeing it.

5) Contrary to the Facts section here on SpyBot, it is not fast. The question that has a user ask Why is it So Fast is misleading. The 1.6 version takes almost twice as long as the 1.5.2 to load and scan. Perhaps part of the problem can be found in the size of the download. 1.6 is considerable larger than 1.5.2.

It shouldn't be slow at all....in fact, on several machines, many users (including myself) have encountered faster performance upon launch of the program, along with increased scan speed. (You will only get faster scanning however if spybot is allowed to clean the temp files upon start of the program.) I do not know why the program launch takes so long for you...However, in settings in advanced mode, I have found if you have spybot to immunize upon opening of spybot, it causes spybot to take a little longer to open. Do you have that option checked?

6) I have uninstalled 1.6 and reinstalled 1.5.2. I did update the TT though. Wish there was a way to turn off the rotating torso.

see number 4

7) If All Previous versions, including 1.5.2, will no longer be supported, I just don't know what to do. The 1.6 causes just too many user non friendly problems.

I'm hoping we can find out why you are having trouble....

FYI: I am using a P4@3.2g, 2gbRam, W2000ProWsp4 and keep very few programs running at the same time, if any at all. Yes, I know that there will always be a few though.

Hmm...with that setup, you shouldn't be having any problems....Have you ever tried a complete removal of spybot and then install spybot 1.6 again when you had these issues?

Please - Please if anyone has thoughts or suggestions for me, please post them here.

I just did I hope i was some help?

Thanks a bunch, Steve (k2710)
    By the way, the reason i made everything bold was just so it would be easier to see my response, not to indicate a change in tone. just thought i would add that.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-09-03 at 03:29.

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry that I haven't gotten back any sooner.

Anyhow, # 5, about the slowness, I have found that it is the TeaTimer that causes the slow bootup. The settings do not Imunize on startup but when I manually Imunize it is quick to do that. Even though the 1.6 update is supposed to take care of replacing the 1.5.2, I'll try it again by uninstalling first when I get some extra time.

Why on earth did they find it necessary to make the icon rotate? The fact that the icon is there indicates that the software is running. That fact and the balloon that appeared when a problem was detected lets the user know that it was running Without having a rotating icon.

Can we have 1.6 running automatically without having an icon in the tray?

On the slowness again, when I manually make it scan the computer for problems, I turn off all other running programs, including AVG, before I run it. It still takes almost 2 times longer to scan the entire HD. I reinstalled 1.5.2, updated everything except the 1.6 & TeaTimer and it ran quickly again.

Thanks a bunch for the info, Steve

Lightbulb its fine =]

About teatimer, a newer version should be available when you search for updates. That should fix slow bootup and all that. Teatimer (sd resident helper) is always being working on.

They made the icon rotate so you know its running and working correctly.
    Again if you do not like it, hide the icon like i suggested. You could also disable teatimer, which would remove the icon altogether; however, it also would remove the protection it offers...

To disable teatimer, open spybot and click mode-advanced mode. click yes. Then go to tools-resident. Uncheck teatimer protection over all systems active and then close spybot. Restart your computer to make the change permanent. Should you change your mind later, you can always re-enable it by redoing those actions.

You can disable teatimers balloons by right clicking it and uncheck show info balloons.

"Can we have 1.6 running automatically without having an icon in the tray?"

I do not think you understand what teatimer is, please read the help file and also the FAQ found here: http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/index.html Under teatimer, read all the questions there, such as what it is, etc. While your there, look for any other questions you have there.

Teatimer, (sd helper), provides protection from multiple threats, and prevents them from starting. When you are scanning in spybot s&d, you are scanning for threats already on your computer. When teatimer is active, it prevents the threats from going on your machine in the first place, kind of like a antivirus resident shield.

also about the scanning, i find that odd.....try completely removing spybot following all directions here: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

When you follow them use Internet explorer when you go to that page so that the file downloads correctly. Select run on the small fix when it prompts in the directions to download it. Follow all directions carefully! Then download and install the latest version. Download and install all updates for the program. Let me know how that helps the scan speed. Also in version 1.6 the latest version, if you allow it to clear your temporary files when the program starts, (not Internet temporary files) Scan speed will increase. Also a question, how big is your hard drive? And how much free space do you have? Have you tried using disk cleanup to speed your computer up, including in the advanced tab of disk cleanup to delete recent restore points?

I hope this helps you and let me know if you have any further questions
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-09-08 at 03:35.