Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spybot search & distroy some how messing with spyware blaster.

Esteemed Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't personally think that a small web site for a business that makes videos of Weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, and other Special Events is probably much of a threat.

My guess would be that the site was erroneously added to the common list that Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster work from, maybe because they were temporarily sourcing some malware due to a site compromse. It may be that the Spybot Team got notified of this error earlier than JavaCool, so they've already removed it from their detections.

This is all just a guess, but it's why I don't use Immunize or Spyware Blaster on anything but Windows 2000 anymore. There are better technologies built into most current A/V suite products today to deal with these issues. Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues.

Bitman

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    This is all just a guess, but it's why I don't use Immunize or Spyware Blaster on anything but Windows 2000 anymore. There are better technologies built into most current A/V suite products today to deal with these issues. Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues.

Bitman
    Bitman, I thought about what you said there... You may be right. You certainly have more knowledge than me in this subject.

Would you recommend any "suites"?
    If not then what individual AV?
    -
    I've already seen the AV thread in the Tavern, so no need to point me there.

Thank you,
    drragostea

Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues.
    the hostsfiles blocks ads too, i hate ads and the adblocking in the suites isnt customisable all the times. maybe opendns is better than the hostsfiles and restricted sites lists, but i dont know if it blocks ads.

Esteemed Member

I don't use the Spybot S&D Forum to recommend any specific suite, since I'm directly involved with Windows Live OneCare and that would be a conflict of interest. Each suite has it purpose, so what's really important is to understand what range of protection it's trying to accomplish.

I don't believe in ad blocking, since in most cases that's doing nothing to directly protect you and simply creates overhead. My purpose is strictly malware protection, not attempting to block completely legal functions. If I don't want to see ads, I don't go to the sites that provide them, I vote with the choice of sites I visit.

Bitman

it is just that some of the moving ads are taking away the attention from the site content.

is it a point to have spywareblaster when using spybot immunize? or does they block basically the same?

I understand... but I'm not really a fan of Windows Live Care either...

I wouldn't rely on security suite's "anti-spam" either.

Re the Coolwebsearch (1630) 5starvidios.com issue -Spybot Sandra just posted this response in another thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...56&postcount=2

To summarise it says:
    We have removed the domain because it is dead.
    The domain is set to undo because it does not make any sense to block a dead domain.

And in addition to not making sense, growing lists can also be the cause of slowdown. The problems of evergrowing lists have been discussed a few times; the related feature request can be found here. 6 votes in favor of it, none against it.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

slowdowns can also be caused by the dns client service, it should have been an option in the spybot installation wizard to set it to manual or disabled. and maybe spybot could have a hostsfile server like hostsman has wich makes things even better, the ugly error messages that appears when something is blocked should be replaced with a white image or a message that says blocked, hostsman shows a message or a white image when something is blocked. the dns client are in most cases not needed http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=627

An update for SpywareBlaster has now fixed this clash with Spybot.
    See this post by Javacool http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showp...75&postcount=6