Thread: Scan avast at startup and Sybot

Default Scan avast at startup and Sybot

Hi,

Once, I planified avast! for a scan at startup. Spybot asked me if I accepted the modification of Register, what I deed. But since, I can't desable this scan at start up in avast! : this action as no effect and I must press Esc to abort the scan at each start of the computer. I suppose Spybot blocks this desabling. Thanks for help.

Smile to stop a process from loading in Startup

.. should be simple if Avast is using a normal Startup entry (I use AVG75, but it should be similar). I take it you wish to avoid a long Avast scan when Windows starts, yes? If it is a short scan (such as memory-only), sometimes that is a good thing.

Open SSD .. Mode .. Advanced Mode .. click the Yes button .. on the left side select Tools .. on the right side doubleclick System Startup (or click System Startup if it is displayed on the left side under Tools) .. now you see on the right side your Startup list (those programs that run when Windows starts). Very colorful ..

Among the checked entries, find the one that is the Avast scan that you wish to have not run when Windows starts .. If in doubt, try selecting the line you think it is (do not uncheck it yet, simply click on the line to highlight it), then at the far right click on the infopanel switch (it has a triangle above and below it) .. this should tell you more about the entry .. read it all as sometimes there are scarey warnings at the top with the info for the legitimate product all the way at the bottom. If the info tells you that this is the long scan that you wish not to run at Windows startup, go ahead and click the small box at the start of the line to uncheck the box. Close SSD.

REboot Windows if you like just to make sure the long Avast scan is not running at Startup. Sometimes an AV program like Avast will run a long scan at startup if it notices anything unusual (like Windows does with ScanDisk if the system 'has not been shut down properly'). That is not the usual startup that most people prefer, however.

Doublecheck that the Avast 'resident' protection icon is active in the systray or Notification Area (?, not sure what the name is for it on the newer Windows). Check your Avast settings to make sure everything is okay (and if something like 'Run complete scan at startup' is still set there, unset it so there is no confusion). Sometimes a complete scan can take awhile, but 'short' scans may be a good idea and normal for a regular boot.

Hope this helps

Default Scan avast at startup and Sybot

@ME_2&

Thanks a lot for this long reply. I understood what you urged me. In fact I had this deep look inside SDD before I posted on this forum. I don't know if you are a user of avast! but my problem is not a scan at startup of Windows but at startup of the PC, ie a scan under DOS

This scan is very useful to find malwares before they begin to act under Windows, and it's an option of avast! When you enable this option, I suppose something is modified in the Register, for SDD asks me to confirm such a modification. But when I try to desable this scan in avast!, at first all seems ok, but SDD asks nothing about a supposed reverse modification of the Register, so this desabling has no effect, and at each restart of my PC, avast! makes a scan under DOS. Fortunatly I can stop it by pressing Esc, but I would prefer a true desabling? Am I clear ?

Best regards

Hi! Another avast! user here. The Boot Time Scan should only be a "run once" event when started from the Menu. If it runs at every boot your best bet is to ask the good folks at the avast!WEBforum

DELL Latitude C600/Pent III/1.0Ghz/10Gb/256Mb/WinXPro SP2/FF20016&IE6/
    Zone Alarm / avast! / Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes & Spyware Blaster