Thread: RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

Default RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

Hi. This morning I downloaded Spybot 1.6; got into safe mode; uninstalled former Spybots; and then installed Spybot 1.6 (in regular mode, since it wouldn't install in safe mode). Everything went fine, except for two error messages. The exact text follows:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\sdfiles\command
    RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\sdfiles
    RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

Does this mean Spybot isn't fully installed? If so, might I be partially unprotected? Can I or should I create registry keys -- and, if so, exactly what should I do? I have no idea how to create registry keys on my own. Thanks much for your help. cheryl

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

cheryl:

Your post actually seems that it would have been more appropriately posted in the Spybot-S&D sorum rather than the OpenSBI Discussion forum.

The error "RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5" indicates that you do not have the authority to create/modify those registry keys.

What version of Windows OS are you running?
    Are you attempting to install Spybot using spybotsd160.exe?
    Are you attempting to installation from a "Computer administrator account"?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for your response. I'm running XPSP2, with all post-SP2 updates. I'm the administrator of the computer, and I'm able to make any other changes necessary. I've even edited the registry before, but only when reading specific instructions from a web site, or from someone responding in a forum.

Yes, I'm using spybotsd160.exe

What happened during the Spybot installation was a complete surprise to me. It's something that has never happened before.

Sorry if I put this post in the wrong place, and thanks again for your response. Cheryl

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

cheryl:

Using regedit navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell. Right click on the Shell key and select permissions. See if the username that you are installing with has full permissions on that key.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks again for your response. I did as directed, and found nothing selected under "Permissions" at the Shell key. I checked a few other keys, and they all had "Full Control" selected -- so, I selected that; "Read" selected automatically, and I assume you've given me the solution to my problem. I'll try installing Spybot again, and let you know what happens. (Until your reply, I hadn't even noticed "Permissions" under the registry keys. Oh, well...) Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens. Cheryl

Yup. That was the problem. Thank-you, thank-you. This is why I love forums: Somebody always comes to my rescue. Cheryl

thanks for help dear.