Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Spybot Blcok the Spyhunter website?

Default What does Spybot Blcok the Spyhunter website?

I understand Engima software the makers of spyhunter have had issues in the past like 4 or 5 years ago but now Spybot has gone all out to prevent the use of the spyhunter product. Spybot used to just detect spyhunter as malware and I would just uncheck it.

As of about late August Spybot now changes your host file to prevent you from being able to get to the enigma software website and in conjunction with that it breaks the ability for you to update the spyhunter product.
    I know this is the immunize option and I could unceck it but if I'm going to have to work around spybot just to keep it from breaking other software I will just uninstall spybot.

Spyhunter is a legit product that I paid for, it has worked well for me at it will at times detect and rmeove things that even Spybot does not catch.

I do not think it is a good thing that Spybot detects it's competitors is malware threats and then prevents you from updating another malware detection product.

Why is spybot doing this? I like the immunize feature of spybot but if it is going to break legit software I have paid for I will not use it anymore.

I don't think you will find many who are as forgiving of Enigma's past as yourself - or many who would recommend using Spyhunter. The best you could say of the company is that it uses confusing and over-enthusiastic advertising techniques to promoted the sale of a mediocre product.

Certainly Spyhunter has improved its reputation over the last few years and is no longer listed as a Rogue (ie fake) program - but the company still seems to be struggling to come across as a professional outfit. The company President Alvin Estevez has a strange habit of posting very aggressive responses on many security forums when his product is criticised. Not something many other companies feel is appropriate behaviour for a CEO.

For any who have not investigated Spyhunter try reading the following:
    http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/08/...eferences.html
    http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=31-08-2008

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...er-c40878.html
    http://www.securitycadets.com/category/enigma/

Quote Originally Posted by DougCuk View Post
    I don't think you will find many who are as forgiving of Enigma's past as yourself - or many who would recommend using Spyhunter. The best you could say of the company is that it uses confusing and over-enthusiastic advertising techniques to promoted the sale of a mediocre product.

Certainly Spyhunter has improved its reputation over the last few years and is no longer listed as a Rogue (ie fake) program - but the company still seems to be struggling to come across as a professional outfit. The company President Alvin Estevez has a strange habit of posting very aggressive responses on many security forums when his product is criticised. Not something many other companies feel is appropriate behaviour for a CEO.

For any who have not investigated Spyhunter try reading the following:
    http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/08/...eferences.html
    http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=31-08-2008

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...er-c40878.html
    http://www.securitycadets.com/category/enigma/

Ok but how is Spybot any better by blocking access to their website? I paid for the Spyhunter product and am satisfied with it been using it for a few years now, yet Spybot made the spyhunter product un useable until I figured out it was Spybot that was causing the problem.

I quickly came to realize no SINGLE malware product works for everything so I use a combination of a few products. In this case Spybot made my pc more vulnerable since it blocked me getting updates for the spyhunter product I paid for.

I understand enigma's past, but is enigma software and Spyhunter a threat to my computer right now? Are they malware?

The answer is no, spybot should not be blocking the use of the spyhunter product or the Enigma's website based off of having a weird CEO.

Spybot intentionally went out of its way to BREAK spyhunter and block me from being able to get support or trouble shoot the issue. Heck I thought the company went under as there website would not come up and spyhunter would not update.

I had to go to another pc to realize that the website was up and had to dig through my host file to see that spybot rerouted the enigma website to local host. And now on spybot I have to turn immunize OFF for host files as there does not appear to be a away for my to tell spybot NOT to block the Enigma related website.

To me that is over stepping the bounds for spybot, Spyhunter is not malware and not a threat to my pc spybot needs to leave the politics out of it and leave that program alone.
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-13 at 18:48.

Well, if you paid for it because you seriously wanted it, you're a rare case

The only people who paid for it that i know where all either victims of trademark frauds where they thought they would be buying a different product (through Enigma affiliates willingly tolerated by Enigma), or those of fake detections of non-existing malware to lure people into buying, or through deceptive sites.

Hint: the product description shown inside Spybot will tell you which one it is currently
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

You could try Stopzilla for a new adventure

Smile lol

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    You could try Stopzilla for a new adventure
    haha

enigma? they manipulate search results in google, they pretend to have an office in Norway and some other countries and they hide their identity. this is one of the norwegian sites they have: http://no. pcthreat. com/ you will maybe be redirected to the english one when you visit, i dont know. they seems to use a translating system to translate from english (or another language) to norwegian and that is unprofessional by an company like this because i guess they are not norwegians but they pretend to be, there are spelling errors on their sites.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-13 at 23:04.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Well, if you paid for it because you seriously wanted it, you're a rare case

The only people who paid for it that i know where all either victims of trademark frauds where they thought they would be buying a different product (through Enigma affiliates willingly tolerated by Enigma), or those of fake detections of non-existing malware to lure people into buying, or through deceptive sites.

Hint: the product description shown inside Spybot will tell you which one it is currently
    Umm yeah I think you guys are missing the point here. I'm not going to argue about how good a product spyhunter is, I honestly have not had a problem with it and voluntarily purchased it to use in cunjunction with about 3 other malware programs.

I fully purchased spyhunter and have had no issues with it.

Enigma software and spyhunter do not equal malware, they are not a threat to my computer

Why is Spybot preventing spyhunter from working and preventing me from going to the Enigma software website? Spybot made a product I PAID for stop working. This is pretty recent to, even though spybot usually detected spyhunter as malware it never blocked the enigma websites or my ability to get updates.
    What changed? Can someone give me a real instance that Enigma software and spyhunter are actual Malware?

Fling all the crap you want at enigma for past issues but Spybot is doing something just as bad.

Spybot is actively blocking and breaking a product I paid for, with no reason.

Is Spyhunter a malware product? Will my computer get infected and have issues if I visit the Enigma website?

If the answers to both of these questions is NO then Spybot should not mess with this program or my ability to visit there website.

It does not look very good for spybot when they are injecting their OPINION about a competitor on my PC.

Spybot needs to stick with actively fighting MALWARE and NOT passing judgment on a competitor.

My pc is not going to be the battle ground for that type of crap,
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-13 at 23:15.

Is Spyhunter a malware product? Will my computer get infected and have issues if I visit the Enigma website?
    i guess not but these people are very unprofessional and manipulative.

Spybot made a product I PAID for stop working.
    why not donate to spybot instead? the people that have made spybot is not manipulative like this company you are talking about and they do not try to push their products on people like crazy. donate to spybot instead of buying this crap if you want

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    i guess not but these people are very unprofessional and manipulative.

why not donate to spybot instead? the people that have made spybot is not manipulative like this company you are talking about and they do not try to push their products on people like crazy. donate to spybot instead of buying this crap if you want

I'm not scanning my computer for unprofessional software and manipulative companies when I use Spybot. I'm scanning my comptuer for Malware\virus, I don't need spybot to make a moral decision on the software I have installed and paid for on my pc.

Spybot is going to be lucky to stay on my pc after this crap, no way in hell I'm going to donate money to spybot so they can continue to pass moral judgment on software I HAVE PAID FOR. What if one day the makers of spybot determine the makers of other software I have bought are manipulative or unprofessional and break that product to?

If the programs and websites on my pc or I visit are not malware\virus and are NOT harmful to my pc Spybot should leave them the **** alone.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-09-14 at 19:55. Reason: Removed language, this is a family site