Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows No Disk Error Message

Smile No Disk Error

I received a new computer for Christmas.:p After loading everything I kept receiving an error message when the media player was opened. It was,"There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a disk in the drive." This message was due to the fact that while downloading my McAfee virus scan, it was recommended that I uninstall Norton Internet Security, which was bundled with the computer. This removal caused the error message. When I left the Norton on the computer and disabled the McAfee everything was alright. In a nutshell, deleting the Norton program caused the problem.:D

Cool CSRSS.EXE causes "No Disc" error when SpyBot Runs

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\

Change the value of the ErrorMode key to 2.

CSRSS.EXE (Microsoft Client Server Subsystem) may attempt to locate media which simply didn’t exist. The above workaround helped me in this situation.

Hope it helps you.

Esteemed Member

Though this will undoubtedly stop the messages, I'm a bit concerned since it's really just supressing the message itself, not finding or solving the real issue, whatever that may be.

The error messages do continue to get logged into the Event Logs, but aren't displayed at all. This is great for an embedded system like the article below mentions, where no one may be around to monitor the screen, if there even is one. However, this also means that other critical messages unrelated to the disk drive problem will be supressed, such as impending hard drive failure for example.

So I wouldn't recommend this method to solve what is generally a system configuration or interaction issue. On rare occassion Spybot itself has caused similar issues when an errant entry for "D:\something..." got into the detections by mistake.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/c...s/default.aspx
    How to Get Rid of System and Application Popup Messages
    Submitted by: Slobodan Brcin of Belgrade, Serbia, and Montenegro

This article illustrates how the user can suppress system and application error messages from occurring on an embedded system. This is particularly useful when the embedded device is headless and there is no user interface with which to interact to dismiss the error or in cases where the embedded system is meant to be unattended and the system designer does not want users seeing or interacting with such error dialog boxes.

• For low-level filtering out visible notification of various errors use registry entry
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Windows\ErrorMode.

ErrorMode value descriptions:

0 - All messages are visible (default value).
    1 - Only system messages are invisible. An example of this type of message is: "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low."
    2 - All messages are invisible. An example of this type of message is: "Unable to Locate Component" shown when application can't load DLL statically linked to it.

thanks to Buster and nblue_elf,

the methods both outlined helped me resolve the problem with my C drive name.

thanks for the help.

Default windows no disc

I had this problem for weeks, done everything suggested. uddenly noticed that one of my card drives had been changed to being called C: ( my normal working drive is I so changed C: to R: and bingo, error gone !!!

alright, I understand how to fix the problem. but i still have some dilemas. right now the drives on my computer follow as:

H: Harddrive
    A: Floppy
    C: Compact Flash Reader
    D: SD Card Reader
    E: SM Card Reader
    F: Memory Stick Reader
    G: DVD-RW Drive

The thing is, I don't have a compact flash card anymore to solve the No Disk error. Is there an alternate way to solve the problem?

and two, If I am able to get a CF card some how to change the letter of the drives, will the programs already installed not work properly since it will refer to the H drive instead of the C?

Default Just to be absolutely clear for you good folks

This issue occurs when all the following conditions are all true:
    • You have a removable drive, such as an Iomega Zip drive, configured as drive letter C.
    • You do not have a removable disk in the removable disk drive.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve the issue, use one of the following methods:
    • Insert a removable disk in the removable drive before you start the computer.
    • Change the drive letter assignment for the removable drive to a letter other than C.

To change the drive letter assignments in Windows XP, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to the computer as Administrator.
    2. Insert a disk in the removable drive.
    3. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    4. Click Disk Management.
    5. Right-click the partition, logical drive, or volume that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    6. Click the removable drive, click it, click Change, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

Dont ya just love me

Default DR Gaby

No need to worry about this message...just safely remove your internal or external card reader

Hello,

This is a problem which can occur in Windows.
    Please have a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330137

The problem was fixed with the 2006-11-24 updates.
    So please download the latest detection update (2006/12/29):
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    This should fix it.
    Or choose the direct installation file:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/upda...d_includes.exe

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Possible solution

I have had this same annoyance for a long time, and it got worse over time. At first it was only 1 error message after booting and logging in, the last time was 12 error messages following up on eachother!
    I tried several solutions, including Spybot and Lavasoft AdAware (they both find different entries in your system, so I always use them together).

What (finally) worked for me is deleting dit.exe from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Tip: If you don't want to delete an entry during testing, you can "REM" it out by adding ";" in front of the Value Data making it look like this (without the quotes) => "; Dit.exe"

It appears that this little tool arranges for the fancy icons of your built in multicard reader. It also gives the 'friendly names' to them in Windows Explorer. Furthermore, it does nothing.

I've tested it and it works like a charm! The icons of my memory cards have not disappeared nor did they change back to a normal folder icon. So nothing lost, except for this nuisance!
    Hope it helps someone else.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-06-05 at 21:04. Reason: username shortened.