Thread: Is SpyBot no more a free product?

Default Is SpyBot no more a free product?

Hello,

I was using and advising other to use SpyBot for years. Today a friend of mine downloaded it, but the product demanded that a paid SMS be sent to download it.

So is SpyBot no more free? Myself, I donated to its cause, but if the product is no more actually free, then a warning should be clearly placed on its site, shouldn't it?

Otherwise it looks quite strange - claiming it's free and *requiring* to pay to actually use it.

Thanks.

what site did your friend try to download spybot from? it is important that you tell that. spybot is free but you can donate. i have never been asked to send an sms to download spybot. what i can tell you is that you should not send that sms no matter what site it is that told you that. disable the link to the site if you post it, like this for example www.google .com notice the space.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-17 at 10:08.

Retired

Hello,
    We are sorry, but it seems like your friend got cheated. :-(
    I'm afraid he did not get our software.
    Our software is called Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    You don't have to pay $ for Spybot - Search & Destroy, it's freeware and does not need to be purchased (although we appreciate any donation).
    Also our software does not need any registering to work.

Further please have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2006-08-04.html

You did not get Spybot - Search & Destroy, but some other software of low quality, probably called SpyWareBot.

If you want to get Spybot - Search & Destroy just download the direct installation file:
    www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd160.exe

Please forward us all information you have about your version / fake version or the payment.
    Thanks in advance. :-)

Best regards
    Markus
    Team Spybot

OK, thanks for clarification.

Perhaps you could investigate that yourself. The 'loaded' version was downloaded from

http://www. all-codec.com /spybot/

This is where the friend was directed when entered the Spanish section of your site.

Thank you once again for the great product.
    Last edited by Temmokan; 2008-09-17 at 11:15. Reason: URL disabled