Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumped

Default Stumped

Hi, I found this wesite while looking for registry cleaners...having read your forums it seems like they might be a bad idea...

anyway...first I should apologise if this is in the wrong forum or I didnt search hard enough for related topics, but as I'm unsue to the nature of my problem I didn't really know what else to do.

so whats happened is this...my internet browser is painfully slow. I should get 1mb but its currently running at about 10-20kbps. Now I know the internet is working in my house as the other computers on the network are running at normal speed. Ive tried different cables and bypassing the router. No luck.

What is strange is that if I load an online game my ping is fine, there is no drop in bandwidth. So I take it the problem is to do with my browser.

I have uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it. I have tried to perform a system restore but that always fails and comes up with an error message.

I have scanned and removed viruses using Avira, threatfire and Spybot.

Im out of ideas...

Are there any diagnostics I could run to determine if it is a hardware problem?

or any other tests to see what exactly it is that is using up all my bandwidth?

sorry again if this is in the wrong section, and I know its so vague that its probably a waste of time reading it...but I really cant figure this out....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mannilow View Post
    I have scanned and removed viruses using Avira, threatfire and Spybot.
    What is your operating system and please confirm, do you have two resident anti virus programs installed?

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Im running windows xp.

Yes Avira and threatfire are both installed and running.

Hello,

Yes Avira and threatfire are both installed and running.
    Please remove one of them and see if things run any better.

Rule of thumb is one Firewall/one AV to avoid conflicts and loss of program efficiency.

Best regards.

I deleted Avira. The problem still remains. :(

Are there any diagnostics I could run to determine if it is a hardware problem?
    or any other tests to see what exactly it is that is using up all my bandwidth?
    Dslreports may be useful. http://www.dslreports.com/tools

If not try WTT's General Hardware or Networking forum.

Let us know how it goes, good luck.

isnt threatfire only a behavior blocker? i dont know about the paid for one but i mean the free one.
    this is from their site:
    Will your antivirus software catch the latest malware that just came out today? In most cases, no, because it simply does not know how to detect it yet. But ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products.

Barry Mannilow do you have a firewall other than the windows one? if not then you can try comodo firewall, it has something called defence+ that works like threatfire, some people say that defence+ is more powerfull than threatfire but that threatfire is easier to use.

i was actually thinking of using threatfire together with antivir but i am unsure if threatfire will conflict with defence+ and that threatfire and defence+ maybe will be overkill.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-20 at 06:04.

blues is right, they do say 'complimentary' to one's anti virus program.

However, they also state, 'ThreatFire AntiVirus Free Edition' and "AntiVirus engine with signature updates".

Personally I'd choose an anti virus program that tells you not to install if you have another AV resident.

Anti Virus Programs

Cheers.

i dont know if i trust this pctools.

"ThreatFire™ AntiVirus protects when others can't"

why do they call it antivirus? this is disinformation from pctools.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-20 at 08:52.

Thanks for the help guys...A virus scan using spyware doctor revealed a load more threats...now they are removed my browser speed has increased!

download speed is now 50-60 kbps and upload speed is 160-170kbps

its not full speed but this is promising...are there any other virus scanners I could try? as I suppose the problem is to do with malware...