Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot loves to run automatically, no matter what I say.

Default Spybot loves to run automatically, no matter what I say.

How do I disable the feature that lets Spybot run when I log on? I tried to modify the "settings" tab and removed the options to run automatically (I thought) but Spybot keeps popping up. I have to close it down manually before I can log on.

What's going on here?

Go to: Spybot-S&D > Tools > System Startup. Is there an entry which leads to Spybot-S&D executable (SpybotSD.exe)?

Default Spybot runs amok

I have a similar problem. There's no executable in the tools>startup, yet Spybot runs automatically at 3:00am. I wouldn't mind Spybot running automatically if the process could be managed. Spybot runs, then it finishes with a message "14 problems found". Then what? How do I list the 14 problems found? The only way is to start Spybot again when I'm watching it, except it takes an hour for Spybot to run

I don't want to have to sit at my desk for an hour, trying to catch the list of problems as it flashes by.

What's the answer?

Maybe there is a Scheduled Task which runs Spybot. Go to Spybot-S&D > Settings > Scheduler. Is there anything scheduled?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    Maybe there is a Scheduled Task which runs Spybot. Go to Spybot-S&D > Settings > Scheduler. Is there anything scheduled?
    Yes, it's there (thanks!). But how do I manage this process? The result is Spybot runs, and says "14 problems found". How do I find out what these problems are? Can I be sure that Spybot won't remove something useful if I fix these 14 un-named items?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wizzywick:

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. To view the log:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log that you like to review. Highlight and open it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default automating Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log that you like to review. Highlight and open it.[/list]
    OK, I see the report, but what do I do with it? It lists Spybot components, adware junk, various useful and non-useful executables, etc. What next?

The un-automatic Spybot ends with a nice graphic screen that allows the user to select what should be cleaned up. Each item is nicely explained on the right side of the screen. Can I get a similar result using your log file as an input? How do I control this next step so it doesn't cause huge amounts of damage?

Default Automatic SpyBot puzzle

I'm still puzzled how to complete the automated SpyBot sequence. After running SpyBot automatically at 3:00am, I'm left with this screen (see below) showing 17 problems, but no indication of what the problems are. How do I fix the problems without ruining my installed software applications, Registry Cleaner, etc? Normal SpyBot sessions end with a graphic screen showing all the problems found, but the automated SpyBot doesn't end that way. As you can see from this screenshot, SpyBot has found something, but we don't know what it is:

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wizzywick:

Quote Originally Posted by wizzywick View Post
    ... After running SpyBot automatically at 3:00am, I'm left with this screen (see below) showing 17 problems, but no indication of what the problems are. ...
    Click on the "Search & Destroy" button in the left hand pane.

ps: Please stop hijacking other people's threads.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    wizzywick:

Click on the "Search & Destroy" button in the left hand pane.

ps: Please stop hijacking other people's threads.
    I'm not sure what "hijacking other people's threads" means, so I'd be grateful if you would explain.

As far as your suggestion to Click on the "Search & Destroy" button in the left hand pane, that just brings up "Check for Problems" which is done already at this point. The log files method doesn't yield an answer, either. We've been there already.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to keep returning to this question until I get some kind of useful answer. As you can see, the answers appear to be looping, which isn't helpful.