Thread: Uninstallation Problem....can someone help a newbie please

Default Uninstallation Problem....can someone help a newbie please

I have tried unsuccessfully 3 times to uninstall Spybot S&D. I have followed all the instructions down to a t. But each time when I re-start my pc after the initial start up pop-ups etc. my screen goes completely blank and I am unable to bring back on to the screen any icons, or even the task bar. The only way I have of activating anything is via the task manager, which I'm not very familiar with. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can anyone tell me how to fix it. I'm speaking to you now from my son's pc because I can't access the internet on my own....frustrated or what!

Is there an error message when you attempt to uninstall?

What were the "pop-ups"? Like advertisements? Or error popups?

If it is colorful or graphical ads, there may be a problem because you may be infected with malware (malware disables your ability to connect to the Internet).

Can you run the machine in 'Safe Mode' (achieved by tapping F8 rapidly during boot [before Windows XP boot screen])?

Cool

There were no error pop-ups. After completing the un-installation the spybot is completely removed from all locations, I know because I checked this, the pc was working fine. Then when I re-started it, that's when the problems come up. It boots up as normal for the first few minutes, all the icons appear on screen as normal, the various other applications start to open up as normal, then without any warning or pop-ups everything just disappears from the screen, and I'm left with a completely blank blue screen. The 3rd time it happened I managed to get to the system restore while it was booting up, and just before everything vanished from the screen. It's really weird! When in the task manager, I can see all my desktop icons listed, and everything is as it should be, except that there is nothing displayed on screen, it's as if there is a cover over the whole screen!

A solid colored screen?
    What happens after you reached System Restore? Were you able to perform a restore?

Can you boot into Safe Mode and see if this still occurs?

I was curious, why did you uninstall Spybot?
    -
    FYI, the TaskManager (Alt+Ctrl+Delete) does not show you the 'icons' or your desktop, but the running processes and the CPU usage.

in task manager, click applications tab, run, then type "explorer.exe"
    that should bring up your desktop. worked on my xp system
    dual core 2ghz centrino x 2 ATI radeon 512mb with 1791mb hypermemory 4gb ddr2 RAM vista home premium