Thread: Spybot S&D and other similar programs

Default Spybot S&D and other similar programs

Good day,

I have a problem of running lots of background programs which makes my pc run slow. I have the following running simultaneously.

Spybot S&D (no plans of removing it)
    Spywareguard
    SpywareBlaster
    Windows Defender

I would like to know what programs are redundant and must be uninstalled from my machine? Thanks and more power to the makers of Spybot S&D!

Hi Clown
    IMHO follows- not gospel

Windows Defender would have the most overlap with spybot.
    WD does provide real time protection, I do not consider it's scanner as good but some times it surprises me. It is the Old Giant/ Microsoft Anti Spyware scanner.
    If you were to deactivate WD You should at lest have Spybot T-Timer turned on but there is not a direct comparison. No need to uninstall just do not let it start

Spyware Blaster does not take any resources-essential if you have IE installed
    Do you update Spybot every Wednasday and Immunize ?

Spyware Guard is sort of unique as it mostly uses Heuristics to protect against the things it protects against- mostly hijacking of IE start page and some others.
    Some Other programs that do this use blacklists
    Windows Defender most likely covers the same functions but I have seen no point by point test
    T-Timer also covers SOME of the Spyware Guard functions but I have seen no RECENT comparisons (and T-timer has been updated since)
    If someone has an authoritative answer please let us know
    SG might help against some problems no one has ever seen before and no blacklist exists.

What version Spybot?
    What OS?
    What firewall?
    What Antivirus?
    What Browser IF IE do you have Spybot SD Helper turned on?
    what Cpu and how much memory do we have to work with?
    GET SOME MORE MEMORY (usually works)

I would recommend Spybot S&D and SP3!

Edit: Free Antivirus - AVG or Avira
    Last edited by ght1; 2008-09-22 at 21:54.

thanks for the reply. I would follow your advice on not running WD. I have Tea timer running at all times.

on your questions

Do you update Spybot every Wednasday and Immunize ? Yes i do update Spybot S&D everytime I connect to the internet it is set to check for updates and immunize if there are updates available.

What version Spybot? The latest one
    What OS? Windows XP Home SP3
    What firewall? ZoneAlarm Free Edition
    What Antivirus? Avast! Antivirus
    What Browser IF IE do you have Spybot SD Helper turned on? I use Firefox as my browser
    what Cpu and how much memory do we have to work with? pentium 4 (socket 468 i think) 2.4G with 512 memory

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    Hi Clown
    IMHO follows- not gospel

Windows Defender would have the most overlap with spybot.
    WD does provide real time protection, I do not consider it's scanner as good but some times it surprises me. It is the Old Giant/ Microsoft Anti Spyware scanner.
    If you were to deactivate WD You should at lest have Spybot T-Timer turned on but there is not a direct comparison. No need to uninstall just do not let it start

Spyware Blaster does not take any resources-essential if you have IE installed
    Do you update Spybot every Wednasday and Immunize ?

Spyware Guard is sort of unique as it mostly uses Heuristics to protect against the things it protects against- mostly hijacking of IE start page and some others.
    Some Other programs that do this use blacklists
    Windows Defender most likely covers the same functions but I have seen no point by point test
    T-Timer also covers SOME of the Spyware Guard functions but I have seen no RECENT comparisons (and T-timer has been updated since)
    If someone has an authoritative answer please let us know
    SG might help against some problems no one has ever seen before and no blacklist exists.

What version Spybot?
    What OS?
    What firewall?
    What Antivirus?
    What Browser IF IE do you have Spybot SD Helper turned on?
    what Cpu and how much memory do we have to work with?
    GET SOME MORE MEMORY (usually works)

Quote Originally Posted by evilclown View Post
    Spybot S&D (no plans of removing it)
    Spywareguard
    SpywareBlaster
    Windows Defender

I would like to know what programs are redundant and must be uninstalled from my machine? Thanks and more power to the makers of Spybot S&D!
    You have a decent configuration clown, no need to modify it (except the advice by wyrmrider, which I suggest).

You are updated, patched, and protected. Safe surfing.

FYI- ZA v.8.0 is released.