Thread: Spybot running by itself in the background (animated icon)?

Default Spybot running by itself in the background (animated icon)?

with the latest update (EDIT: ok, apparently it wasn't the latest, it was the one applied last night. currently downloading and applying the latest update now), spybot seems to be executing some processor intensive application in the background without my telling it to and i need to know what's going on or how to make it stop.

my computer has been acting REALLY slow recently, and i've noticed during one of these sporadic periods that the spybot icon in the corner becomes animated, with the padlock icon spinning around the center. what does this mean? what is going on that is slowing down my computer so much? can i gain control of this behavior (ie: i want this to stop; it's happening every five minutes)?

ps: yes, i'm aware i need to upgrade.

my os is windows 2000. a hijackthis log is forthcoming.
    Last edited by zer0nix; 2008-10-01 at 23:39.

Actually, that would not be Spybot itself running, but it's Resident Shield "TeaTimer".

TeaTimer is a registry monitor tool in Spybot which will prompt you of a registry (important) change.
    No need for a HJT log zer0.
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0nix View Post
    ps: yes, i'm aware i need to upgrade.
    What version is your Spybot (Spybot>Help>About)?

What you can do is enable Spybot to download beta (β) updates (Advanced Mode) and choose to download the latest version of Spybot-SD TeaTimer (latest would be 1.6.3.25).

It should resolve your query.

indeed, after downloading the most recent updates, the icon itself has even disappeared and things seem to be moving as normal now. strange.

until further notice, i think the problem has been resolved.

Glad to hear it was resolved.

The general idea of the "animated" TeaTimer icon is usually to show that it is in activity. More like it's working and doing it's job.

So everything is fine?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zer0nix View Post
    indeed, after downloading the most recent updates, the icon itself has even disappeared...
    zer0nix, drragostea,

Actually I'm not so sure "everything is fine". If there is now No Teatimer Icon at all as zer0nix's post says, then either Teatimer is no longer selected, and he does not have its protection, or it might be working but for some reason without the icon that should be there.

It seems that "latest" version of Teatimer has reverted to an icon that is not animated, but the icon should be there if Teatimer is runniing.

What is the latest version of Teatimer? Well I'm not sure - the one in the Spybot 1.6.0.30 install package currently available from the site is 1.6.0.20. As far as I am aware, the 1.6.3.25 is actually a beta version. Other current posts have mentioned a 1.6.1 version but I have no idea where that is coming from.

Hello,

The latest TeaTimer is 1.6.3.25.
    Do you use Windows XP?
    This could probably be related to the service pack 3 update.

The "Ostuni Workaround" should help.
    Please have a look at this link:
    http://winhlp.com/node/16

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot