Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of protection

Question End of protection

Does the end of protection aply to 1.5?

My computer has 98se and will not support a newer os. I have tried time after time to install 1.6 on it. When I do Spybot will not load and I end up going back to 1.5.

Can someone help me?

Here's something you might try:

Download a copy of Version 1.6 to a separate folder on your hard drive; uninstall Version 1.5; reboot your system; then install that Version 1.6...

Once that's done connect to the Internet and check for updates...

I've had some minor problems updating Spybot in the past and I've found this to work well...
    Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons
    ...for You are Crunchy and Good With Ketchup

I use 1.6 with 98 SE no problems
    sd-helper
    t-timer all ok
    I have 512mb memory

In addition I'd run the spybot removal tool
    do a search on "small fix" or track down the removal thread

I know of several other very knowledgeable W98 folks
    we'll get this solved

Thanks for answering.

I uninstalled it, ran the fix, rebooted and installed 1.6. I just did this four times.

When it starts to load I get this

Error
    Access violation at address 007802C3 in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE': Read of address FFFFFFFF

then it loads but it does not have the version number on it.

When I go to "settings - file sets it is blank. A box pops up that says "Error Failed to get object at index - 1" when ignore products is opened.

The about page does not tell what version it is.

BHOs brings up
    Error
    Access violation at address 0074A1BC in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE': Read of address FFFFFFFF

Active x and process list and the others bring up similar error messages.

Almost everything is blank or brings up an error box.

joyea,

It may perhaps have been wise to provide more information about your computer, particularly in regards to the amount of memory that is installed in it, and also how much of this remains spare after bootup when Spybot is not installed. This might have given an indication of whether there is enough free memory to support the latest Spybot installation.

Did you have SD helper and Teatimer options ticked during the installation, if so you could try an installation with them unticked, to see whether the basic Spybot will install and start up OK.

If you try this, also make sure that you leave getting the detection updates untill after the program is installed. After uninstalling Spybot and before reinstalling, clear out all of your browser caches and your temporary files, (Run Windows disk cleanup), then reboot. Try to minimise the amount of other software that might be running during the install.

Please post back and let's know whether this helped, and perhaps indicate the amount of memory and what antivirus and firewall software you have installed.

Here is some more info

installed memory is 128 mb

computer is 500 megahertz

10.22 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    5.71 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

I had SD helper ticked but not Tea Timer

Uninstalled it and cleaned the computer up
    Rebooted and system resources showed 80% free

Reinstalled Spybot with SD helper and Tea Timer off
    Rebooted with system resources showing 78% free
    Opened Spybot and system resources showed 56% free

is system resources the same as memory or can you tell me where to find the memory amounts?

The only programs running are AVG virus, my firewall. Sypware Blaster and PreEmpt

Have not ran the updater yet

It is still the same as in my last post.

Question

joyea,

Can you boot into safe mode and then try starting Spybot. Let's know whether it come up with the same error message.

In safe mode it loaded correctly with all the information in it. There were not any error messages.

Is it ok to download and load the updates?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joyea View Post
    In safe mode it loaded correctly with all the information in it. There were not any error messages.

Is it ok to download and load the updates?
    Yes, if you can.

What this indicates is that your problem is either due to an interaction with some other software, or a lack of available memory. If you want to try to resolve this, you will need to make a list of all of the non system software (like your firewall, antivirus, other antispyware programs, etc.) that is being loaded during a normal bootup, then initially stop it all from being loaded, and gradually add the items back in one at a time, each time checking that you can run Spybot OK until you find which one brings back the problem. You will then be in a better position to see whether it is interaction between the particular software and Spybot, or whether at that point there is insufficient free memory left.

I have been trying all the combinations. Even when all the startup programs are disabled and the only thing that is loaded is explorer the same error message comes up. It will just not open right in regular mode.

Is my computer still immunized with Spybot doing this?