Thread: Conflict with IE7? Cannot access Tools

Default Conflict with IE7? Cannot access Tools

I first noticed the problem when I became aware that sound was not playing from websites. I have done hours of research and found several potential fixes, none of which work.

IE7.0.5 on Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Description - When I select Tools>Internet Options I get an error message that says This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I am the administrator. I am the only user.

Many sites indicate that I should, inside SpyBot, uncheck the IETweak "Lock IE Control Panel from opening within (current user)" That was never checked.

I come to you for help simply because the IETweak issue seems to be a common thread on other sites.

I can access Internet Options thru Control Panel. All sounds are on, all audio devices working, I can download and play files, I can use Skype thru headsets.

My IT person that I consult with downloaded and ran the following:
    xp_fix_internetoptions.vbs
    nobrowseroptions.inf

No change.

I have posted a request several days ago on only one other forum:
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...elled-due.html

No reply.

Have you had to deal with this issue and do you have a solution?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by stoptheinsanity; 2008-09-27 at 06:28. Reason: url too long and would not read correctly

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinsanity View Post
    .. When I select Tools>Internet Options I get an error message that says This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."
    That is indeed the message you will get if the "Lock IE Control Panel against operating from within IE (Current User)" option is ticked.

First, for this option to change when it is ticked or unticked, you need to exit your browser and reopen it.

You don't say what version of Spybot you have.
    Is it the current version?
    Did you install it over the top of a previous version?.
    You could try uninstalling Spybot completely, then re-installing the latest version. If you do this, undo all immunisations and untick both SDHelper and Teatimer in Tools/Resident first, before uninstalling the present version.

I did have the latest version, but as I recal it was upgraded by SB on top of oan older version. I did as suggested and unticked all immunizations as well as TeaTimer and SD helper. I then removed SB and checked again and there was an older version still listed so I removed it as well, re-booting each time. Still no access to options.

I opened a file my IT guy had in my Tech Tools folder and it is as follows:

----------
    ; nobrowseroptions.INF
    ; By Kelly Theriot - 10/07/2001
    ; Sets the NoBrowserOption entry to 0
    ; This option may be maliciously set to disable Internet Explorer Options. It also has
    ; the side effect of restricting Folder Options from within Windows Explorer.

[version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
    AddReg=AddMe

[AddMe]

HKCU, "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions","NoBrowserOptions",65537,00
    HKU, ".DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions","NoBrowserOptions",65537,00

------
    My HJT log shows the following:

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present

------
    I used RegAlyzer to look at my Registry Keys and this is what I see, but I don't know whether this is set correctly:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

The Data show: NoBrowserOptions REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Is there a problem with a Registry Key?

I have another laptop that works fine with Windows XP Pro and I do not see this key in that Registry.

When I re-install SB what should I untick or leave unticked?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

stoptheinsanity:

Out of curiosity, do you have the following registry key?

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    If so, is there entry for the following?

Code:
    NoSaveSettings
    If have a "NoSaveSettings" entry, what is the value of the DWORD it is set to?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I do not have the NoSaveSettings entry.

BUT, curiouser and curiouser, before installing SB from scratch I created a Restore Point. I thought, why not try restoring to the point before I did all the SB uninstall/re-install. Tried to Restore twice and got the message "Cannot restore to the previous points until Registry Keys for IE7 are imported."

But I do have these Keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft

Looking under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

This is what I found:

+ Accessing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
    NumSubKeys: 0
    MaxSubKeyLen: 0
    NumValues: 1
    MaxValueLen: 16
    MaxDataLen: 4
    FileTime: 9/22/2008 4:59:48 PM
    + Accessing DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION
    + Security settings read after allocating memory.
    + Security settings read with allocated memory
    Revision: 1
    Sbz1: 0
    Control: 33796
    + Converted security descriptor follows...
    Users (BUILTIN)
    + ACE Type: ACCESS_ALLOWED_ACE_TYPE
    + ACE Flags:
    + INHERITED_ACE
    + Rights:
    + KEY_READ
    Users (BUILTIN)
    + ACE Type: ACCESS_ALLOWED_ACE_TYPE
    + ACE Flags:
    + CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE
    + INHERIT_ONLY_ACE
    + INHERITED_ACE