Thread: help, removable drive question

Default help, removable drive question

Hi, quick noob question, I can right click scan to scan my removable drives, but I can't find a way to fix the problems on these drives, is there something hidden somewhere?

Thanks,
    Grant

Hello,

What do you mean exactly?
    The scan does work, but the problems are not fixed?
    Which problems are found after a scan?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi sandra, if I right click on the removable drive it says I can scan with spybot. Then it scans and recognises viruses but there is no button to fix the problem and it doesn't do it automatically, its almost as if the software will tell you what's wrong on the drive but not how to fix it. There is something on the removable drive called system and another called autorun, deleting these normally doesn't appear to work

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mcflyboy View Post
    Hi sandra, if I right click on the removable drive it says I can scan with spybot. Then it scans and recognises viruses but there is no button to fix the problem and it doesn't do it automatically, its almost as if the software will tell you what's wrong on the drive but not how to fix it. There is something on the removable drive called system and another called autorun, deleting these normally doesn't appear to work
    Can you be more precise about what you are referring to as a removable drive. Is it a conventional Hard drive in a caddy system, a USB flash drive, or a USB, eSata or Firewire external drive unit. I seem to recall a U3 type dual partition flash drive (memory pen) having some sort of system file but I don't have one left in that format that I could check. Both USB flash drives and external hard drives usually have an autorun file. Sometimes it provides a custom icon (as in the case of Western Digital Drives), other times it provides start up instructions for when the drive is plugged in. It's not generally a good thing to delete items like this unless you understand what they are about and what will happen if you delete them.

Given that it's common to use external hard drives of one terrabyte or larger and 8GB flash drives these days, the right click scan which scans all files in my view is not designed for that type of task.

You might like to look at this FAQ
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/1.html