Thread: "7 items removed", every day

Default "7 items removed", every day

Hi - I run Spybot every day, as a scheduled task, using
    /autoupdate
    /autocheck
    /autofix
    /autoclose

Every morning I come down to my computer and see "7 problems fixed". Same number every day. When I look in the recovery - there are 1 or 2 (or sometimes 0) registry entries. I'd like to know what it's finding and fixing every day, (and maybe tell it they're false, since it's tripping on them every day), but I don't know how to

a) find out exactly what its fixing
    b) tell it not to bother

Thanks very much
    /j

jeffw_00,

Why don't you try NOT scheduling automatic operation (at least for one day) and do the processes manually. At the end of the scan you will then see what the items are. It may be they are just tracking entries which are regenerated from other normal processes you run on your computer each day, and if so can be excluded from further scans.

ok thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jeffw_00:

You could also review or post a log from a previous scan.

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to review that information:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections you are interested in. Open it.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows Vista:
          C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    jeffw_00:

There are two methods to review that information:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections you are interested in. Open it.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
    Neither of these methods is very useful because SpyBot's cryptic notes in the log file don't describe what's being found. I suppose the log could be useful if you knew what the various found bits are, but Spybot doesn't tell. The manual mode describes what's found in detail, but the auto mode doesn't.

i now run it without /autoclose so I can see the problems.

I try to exclude the problems from future scan, but whenever I do I get an Access Violation.

Perhaps I'll just run it weekly so it's not so much of an annoyance...
    /j