Thread: detecting Actual Spy

Default detecting Actual Spy

Hello.

I just visited the website of Actual Spy which is a company that makes a keylogger called Actual Spy. The website says Actual Spy can't be detected by antivirus and spyware programs. Yikes ! Is that true ?

Also it says you can get infected with Actual Spy from an email. Yikes again !

I downloaded something called SpyHunter Scanner to detect Actual Spy. I didn't run it yet.

I tried searching this forum for Actual Spy but the search gets everything with the word 'actual'.

Please tell me what you know about Actual Spy - and others that can't be detected by ordinary antispy and antivirus programs. Please give link to articles and posts that discuss such.

Thank you very much.

Here's a small summary about the site itself by McAfee SiteAdvisor:
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/act...false&aff_id=0
    -
    bilsch, what I can tell you is that any keylogger of any kind (in my perspective) is always not good. It's just a software or game you download from the Internet. You do not know what the true content is and what may be bundled along with it.

I'm not sure which anti-virus/spyware programs detect "AcutalSpy" but I can tell you that Spybot-Search&Destroy does detect ActualSpy.

A keylogger to me, won't be used for any good reasons (very rare cases). It is used for harm.
    -
    Yes, it is possible to get a keylogger or trojan from a attachment in a e-mail, but I can't be specific about which one. It is incalculable.
    FYI:
    http://research.sunbelt-software.com...threatid=14895
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-10-02 at 04:06.

Hello.

Thanks for the info. Please don't misunderstand. I don't want to use a keylogger, I want to make sure I don't have one on a computer.

I'm not misunderstanding. I understand what you mean.
    Just in case, you might want to scan with Spybot-Search&Destroy after all, to make sure you don't have it on the computer. : )

Btw, to SaferNetworking Forums.

I run SpyBot SD and AVG Free almost every day.

I downloaded another removal tool from SpyHunter to remove something called Zlob. Just for the heck of it. The install for the thing was rather involved. I guess it was itself some kind of infection - SpyBot refused to let the install complete. I had made a restore point beforehand - and restored the system. Then I ran SpyBot and it found more SpyHunter files on the PC. Now I think I'm clean. I ran SpyBot again and it found nothing.

SpyHunter used to be deemed as a "rogue product", but I checked again on SpywareWarrior's Rogue list and SpyHunter came out as a "dead" product.

Was SpyHunter successful in removing Zlob?
    -
    bilsch, it is your machine. To be honest, I could care less, but I'm just suggesting this: There is no need to run a anti-virus scan everyday. I mean Spybot scans sound alright, but long-memory intensive anti-virus scans with seriously... put a strain on your hard drive.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.
    Edit: Here's a thread about Enigma's SpyHunter:
    -
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-10-03 at 02:48.

Yes. SpyBot apparently got rid of the Zlob thing.

Thanks for your info.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsch View Post
    Yes. SpyBot apparently got rid of the Zlob thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    SpyHunter used to be deemed as a "rogue product", but I checked again on SpywareWarrior's Rogue list and SpyHunter came out as a "dead" product.

Was SpyHunter successful in removing Zlob?
    You're welcome. This will sound confusing, because you are confusing SpyHunter and Spybot-Search&Destroy.