Thread: my packet problem

Default my packet problem

Hi guys, here goes I have a IBM Thinkpad. OS is win 2000 pro it has a LAN connection via Etherlink III LAN+33.6 PC card. and it will not receive packets. No web access or home page, browser seems to work. I have reset all network parts, router, modem and computers network adapter in device manger and rebooted the computer.I have uninstalled all extra programs (as far as I can tell!! lol) I can access my router, via cmd ping or browser address bar. I ping my router I get 4 good replies. ping google.com I get request timed out. I ping 12.6.42.1 I get request timed out 100%
    ( packets: sent = 4 Received = 0, lost = 4) . I can ping it form my other computer through the router it replies but when I ping from it it times out.I have done this start/run/cmd/,ipconfig /flushdns I do not have it in a home network setup other than it is hooked to the same router. And do not want to put it on one ether I have removed and recreated my LAN connection(plug and unplug card)I am sure that my connection to the net is good as I am sending you this with it on another computer I own. Any idea what should I do next?I am going to keep trying. Any help would be Great!!

justime8,

Do you have a software firewall installed in your PC that might be preventing internet access?

no. I have uninstalled all anti virus and firewall software.

if I ping 127.0.0.1 I get replies 0% loss

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

justime8:

Quote Originally Posted by justime8 View Post
    IP Address 127.0.0.1 is your own system, so pings to 127.0.0.1 normally don't access the internet or even your router and normally should have 0 fails and take 0 ms.

Code:
    Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

yes i was just showing that my system is still talking to itself. and yes no packet loss to my router so why no web???any way to set IIS to defalt?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

justime8:

... I ping my router I get 4 good replies. ping google.com I get request timed out. I ping 12.6.42.1 I get request timed out 100%
    ( packets: sent = 4 Received = 0, lost = 4) . ...
    yes i was just showing that my system is still talking to itself. and yes no packet loss to my router so why no web???any way to set IIS to defalt?
    And I was just trying to point out that IP Address 127.0.0.1 is your system not your router. You mentioned pinging:
    • google.com (my DNS Server points to 72.14.207.99).
    • 12.6.42.1 (which returns a ping but I can't contact it via the internet).

Although you indicated "... no packet loss to my router ...", you never mentioned the IP Address were using to ping your router to show you are actually getting to the router. I do not believe that any of the above pings would indicate that you are communicating with the router.

Most routers use an IP address in the private range 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.
    • Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1 for their internal IP address.
    • D-Link and Netgear routers typically use 192.168.0.1.
    • Some US Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254.
    • Some SMC routers use 192.168.2.1.
    • etc.

The default internal IP address for your router should be provided in documentation for your router.

Good luck with your problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-10-05 at 21:09.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I am 100% sure that i can talk to my router because can ping it .... and if I put its ip in the address bar and then my username and password in the resulting prompt I get my router interface and can change its settings.

well I got a fix that works for me I just made a new user rebooted to that profile if you don't mind losing all your user settings this worked for me just now.