Thread: administrator

Default administrator

Can anyone please help me. Spybot keeps telling me that I need administrator rights to run certain things and I clicked on administrators rights but it still tells me the same thing... its driving me crazy!!! Also... can you please tell me how I can uninstall tea timer? I decided that I didn't want that part of it. Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Default Administrator

I just installed Spybot S&D and have the same problem. I am the only user on this computer and have always been the administrator. What to do?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ohiogal:
    salmccarty:

Are you running Windows Vista?

In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order to install or run certain things within Spybot-S&D.

This FAQ shows how to elevate the administrator rights for a single running of Spybot (SpybotSD.exe) and the same technique can be used when installing Spybot running (spybotsd160.exe).

If you want to permanently elevate the administrator rights for running of Spybot (SpybotSD.exe), one method was provided by Terminator in this post and another by one eyed rider in this post.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

MD
    I am having some administrator issues on an XP machine without T-timer
    there are two administrator accounts and a guest- no user accounts
    I am getting a MS message saying I do not have access to a program
    I rt click and run as administrator
    It asks me for the password every time
    an interesting aside
    If I log into the first administrator account (HIS) only the pasword for the second administrator account works (HERS)
    If I log into HERS then the HERS password works
    any ideas?

ps
    I cannot access the USER Config area in any case- just "you do not have authority" No optionto put in a passowrd- from either account
    I can get to control panel

Default Administrator

I am running Vista. I went to the start menu and right clicked on spybot and clicked on run as administrator - that didn't work. I then went into properties and looked at the settings - I am the administrator. Don't know what else to do. I have 12 things that I can't delete - 3 trojans and 9 pups.

I had the same problems. I am the administrator on my Vista computer. I clicked on the desktop icon. A box popped up and was on shortcuts, I clicked advance and checked the box that asked "Run as adminstrator. Hopefully this will work when I sign back on.

[QUOTE=md usa spybot fan;240674]ohiogal:
    salmccarty:

Are you running Windows Vista?

In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order to install or run certain things within Spybot-S&D.

Are there any plans to fix this so you do not have to go through this, kinda a pain when you run your scans and then sb tells you that you must run as admin lvl in vista. Reason I ask it's because a lot of time I forget this.

Talking

Right Click the Spybot Shortcut and choose "Properties" then go to "Compatibility" => "Priviledge Level" and Tick the "Run as Administrator" box then press "Apply". Do this and you'll never have to manually choose the "Run As Administrator" option ever again.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

This is indeed a helpful approach

To explain why this is not default: we try to keep the official Microsoft guidelines as much as possible, and MS wants the main executable of applications to not require admin privileges by default

Spybot 2.0 will be a bit more clear here, e.g. offering the user to elevate for him.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)