Thread: My spybot problem

Default My spybot problem

Hi...Let me try to explain the problem. I've been using Spybot for a number of years w/o any problems; works fairly silently and unobtrusively. I'm on the internet about an hour per day, sometimes a bit more. When I log on to my FireFox the Spybot kicks in and after a few minutes and usually reports "congratulations etc. etc." At least that's the way it was working until a couple of weeks ago. There were problems which I couldn't figure out so I deleted the program and then re-loaded it. Spybot then examined my disc minutely taking over an hour and finding a couple of minor problems which I deleted. I then expected Spybot to build on the initial screening and once again do the few minutes of examination and then a report; but noooooooooooo(as the kids say!) every time I log on to the internet I get that minute exam which takes over an hour. My question: how do I get back to where it was before, a quick exam and a quick response?

EB (growing old is not for sissies!)

Let get this straight. So your problem is that Spybot-Search&Destroy is running scan during bootup out of the blue for no reason and with no prompt or confirmation?

Have you scheduled a Windows Task to run Spybot?
    Spybot will not run a bootup unless you tell it to do so.

What version is your Spybot (Spybot>Help>About)?

No, that's not it. The problem is that spybot always ran at boot-up; but until very recently the run was several minutes...now it's an hour!

Which was wrong? the previous short run or the current long one?

Hello,

Did you let Spybot remove temp files before the scan?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by eb743 View Post
    ...until very recently the run was several minutes...now it's an hour!
    It sounds like you're still running version 1.5, but with the detection databases for 1.6.0. When 1.6.0 came out, I watched my 1.5.2 versions go from 15-minute scans to 35-minute scans to 2-hour scans in a period of a few weeks. Upgrade to Spybot 1.6.0, and your scan time should drop back down to several minutes (probably less than 1.5.2 used to use, in fact).
    Windows is shutting down, and grammar are on their last leg. [Clive James]