Thread: Spybot will not update right.

Default Spybot will not update right.

I installed Spy bot earlier and went through the whole registry thing and all that. And I am at the main screen where you can choose Check for updates, Recovery, Or Search For Updates. When I click the side bar option "update", it takes a long time to start, Then says no updates are available. And if I click the "Search For Updates" it also takes a long time to start, Then gives a list of assorted download locations. No matter what one I click it gives the same updates which I already installed. After trying all this, I try and make it run the check for problems thing. it then says "You need to install the detection updates using the integrated update or the manual updater" which i already did. I did all the assorted updates, it just won't run for some reason. What should I do? ty

Quote Originally Posted by charagrin View Post
    I installed Spy bot earlier and went through the whole registry thing...
    What whole registry thing????

My suggestion is to uninstall Spybot (see http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html) and run this "This very small fix", then reboot. Download and install the current version of Spybot from on of the sites on http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html.

Let it install into its default location. During the installation read the options carefully. I would recommend not activating either Teatimer or the Browser helper during the installation (this can be done from Advanced mode once the program is up and running properly), and don't get the updates during the installation. Once the installation has completed, start up Spybot and use the Search for updates to get the latest update files. Once you have these, do a scan and fix anything it finds that is displayed in Red. Fixing things found that are shown in green is optional. When it is all working properly, go to Advanced mode->tools->Resident and tick the browser SDHelper if you use Internet Explorer as your browser. You can also tick Teatimer if you want to use it.