Thread: Installation Problem

Default Installation Problem

I've been trying to install Spybot Search & Destroy and an Error pops up saying "Access violations at address 00409942. Write of address 00401000."

How do I fix or go about this error?
    Thank you in advance ^.^

Smile

Rutee4Life

Welcome to the forum.
    You were trying to install version ???? of Spybot that you downloaded from ???? into your ???? computer, which is using ???? operating system. Probably too many unknowns to get a really useful answer.

If you Google the exact error you posted you will get quite a number of hits, and you will see it applies to installing different software, and has many suggested remedies.

The best advice I can offer on the information provided is to:-

Run chkdsk/F on your hard drive - it may want you to allow it to run at bootup and if so say Yes.

Clean out your browser caches and temporary files.

Defragment your Hard drive, or at least the partition the operating system is on.

Important - download another (new) copy of the current version of Spybot from one of the sites at http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

During the installation take note of the options offered. I recommend not activating either SDHelper or Teatimer until later when the program is running properly. Also do NOT opt to download the updates during the installation. When the installation has completed and you are able to start Spybot without error, use the Search for Updates in the program to get the latest updates. You can then immunise. I would suggest you then do a full scan, allow Spybot to try to fix any items it finds that are shown in red (fixing items shown in green is optional because these are just usage records).

When it is all working without problems, put Spybot into Advanced mode, then goto Tools->Resident and tick Resident SDHelper if you use Internet Explorer, and Teatimer if you want to use it.

If you still have problems, please fill in the ???? gaps when you post back

Default Problems Installing SPS&D v1.6

I am also having a problem installing Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.6. I am trying to install in on a WindowsXP 2002 service Pack 2 edition of windows.

When I try to install it, I get this message . . . . .

"The server name or address could not be resolved"

Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melissabill View Post
    I am also having a problem installing Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.6. I am trying to install in on a WindowsXP 2002 service Pack 2 edition of windows.

When I try to install it, I get this message . . . . .

"The server name or address could not be resolved"

Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!
    During the installation you are given some options, one being to get the updates during the install. Try installing and specifying NOT to get the updates during the install, you can get them once the program is installed and running properly from the "Search for updates" button in Spybot. This will also make it easier for you to configure your firewall to allow the Spybot updates.

I would also recommend not activating Teatimer in particular and SDHelper during the install. Once the program has been installed and opens correcty, get the updates, then immunise, then run a scan. Let it fix any items it finds in red and if you like those in green (these are just usage tracks so deleting them is optional). When the scan is all clear, reboot, go into Spybot, put it into into Advanced mode, then goto Tools->resident and tick the SD Helper box if you use Internet Explorer. If you want to run Teatimer, you can tick that box too.