Thread: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007

Post Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007

After installing Spybot and scanning and immunizing my PC it started crawling at a snails pace. On the Trend Micro site (solution id 1033903) it tells you to turn off immunization and then delete the 'usrwl.dat' file. I did this and the system is back to running normal. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem, as I would like to use the Spybot 'immunization' feature.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rvielmo View Post
    After installing Spybot and scanning and immunizing my PC it started crawling at a snails pace. On the Trend Micro site (solution id 1033903) it tells you to turn off immunization and then delete the 'usrwl.dat' file. I did this and the system is back to running normal. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem, as I would like to use the Spybot 'immunization' feature.
    As far as I have been able to determine, this is an incompatability issue between Spybot and the spyware function of the Trend Micro product. When you undo Spybot's immunisations and delete the Trend Micro file usrwl.dat, that file is regenerated again with substantially less entries (presumably the immunisation entries from Spybot), and it was the number of entries in that file that was slowing down your computer. As you are no doubt aware, undoing the Spybot immunisations has removed a significant layer of protection, and I have no idea if the Trend Micro product makes up for this loss.

The only suggestion I have if you want to use the Spybot immunisation feature, is to look for another antivirus product that does not have this incompatability. I personally use Avast and it has no problems coexisting with Spybot, but there are also others - I guess it's your choice.