Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&D will not open

Default S&D will not open

When I click open or double click the icon on the desktop, nothing happens at all. I have this darn XP Antispyware that won't go away and keeps popping up saying I am infected, when in fact, it put things on my computer to tell me that I was infected. I have run S&D many times before, but it just won't open. I tried downloading the newer version and the same things happen. What do I need to do. Also, my computer stays on almost all the time connected to the internet, what can I download to set up a firewall so anyother computer needs to get permission.

If this is in the wrong spot, let me know. Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Try running the Spybot executable directly. Open the folder "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy" in Windows Explorer, and double-click on SpybotSD.exe. (You may have to turn off "Hide protected operating system files" and turn on "Show hidden files and folders" in the Explorer settings before SpybotSD.exe will appear.)

If that doesn't work, malware may be blocking the Spybot program. Look for files in the Spybot S&D folder that end in .SCR. One of them should be the same size as SpybotSD.exe--that's a backup copy of the program. Open a command prompt (DOS) window, then click-and-drag that .SCR file into the command window. Hit [enter], and see if Spybot will start that way.

Hope this helps.
    Jay

Not to butt in but I'm in the exact same boat...

Then I have the exact same advice
    Are you able to start SpybotSD.exe directly, or run it from the .SCR file?

I tried both things you mentioned about viewing hidden files. I do not see any file ending in .exe or .scr in the spybot folder in program files.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by penstripe View Post
    I tried both things you mentioned about viewing hidden files. I do not see any file ending in .exe or .scr in the spybot folder in program files.
    try un-checking hide extensions for known file types in folder options. Can you see the files that jjjdavidson told you to look for now?

Also, usually a complete uninstall and reinstall might solve this problem that you guys have with spybot not being able to open. Complete uninstall is found here at this link below.

see here: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Then download and install the latest version (after a restart of the computer) found here.

@ penstripe: you say you are infected with xp antipyware? If thats the case you many need to visit the malware removal forums and get your system looked at if spybot in unable to work correctly. It might be preventing spybot from opening.

Another thought has come to me, have you tried safe mode to open spybot and scan?
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-10-10 at 00:35.

Hmm. Try putting these three commands into a DOS window (with quotes as shown):

Code:
    c:
    cd "c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy"
    dir /a-d
    Does SpybotSD.exe (along with a bunch of .SCR files) show up in the directory listing? If not, your Spybot installation is probably broken somehow, and you'll have to uninstall and reinstall. If SpybotSD.exe does show up, just try entering "spybotsd" at the DOS prompt.

Thanks, both of you, for now, I could get in S&D through the .scr file the same size. It has been updated. Scan is process. We'll wait to see what happens.

Lightbulb glad to help :)

Quote Originally Posted by penstripe View Post
    Thanks, both of you, for now, I could get in S&D through the .scr file the same size. It has been updated. Scan is process. We'll wait to see what happens.
    if you have any more issues with spybot again, try the other solutions i offered, such as the complete uninstall and reinstall. Also consider posting in malware removal if you cant get rid of xp antispyware. I will provide you with instructions should you decide for malware assistance.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-10-10 at 00:44.

To add on to what the others said...
    You can attempt to rename the Spybot desktop icon (executable; you can rename it to something like "Spybot-SD" and see if it works).