Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unsure about installation/uninstalling

Default Tea Timer shutdown issue

ms usa spybot fan asked me for the Tea Timer and Spybot S&D versions I was running to help me with the problem I had when trying to shutdown after the installation of Spybot S&D 1.6. The Tea Timer version is 1.6.3.25 as I replied in my last post.

Here is the problem I had:
    The first time I shut down the computer after having done the install of 1.6, I got this message:

Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in nodule “TeaTimer.exe.” Read of address 00000010

Then this popped up over the above:

End Program Spybot S&D
    This program is not responding.
    End Now Cancel

So I had to “End Now” to get the shutdown to complete.

The next time I shutdown the computer, the same message appeared, etc.

When I do a “Restart,” the message does not appear—so far.

This Tea Timer version was installed on 10/21 when I did the 1.6 install, so it had to be the latest version.

Can someone explain why this happened, etc.?

Thank you.

Default Tea Timer at shutdown after 1.6 installation

I am repeating the last post for this problem since I haven't gotten a response:

ms usa spybot fan asked me for the Tea Timer and Spybot S&D versions I was running to help me with the problem I had when trying to shutdown after the installation of Spybot S&D 1.6. The Tea Timer version is 1.6.3.25 as I replied in my last post.

Here is the problem I had:
    The first time I shut down the computer after having done the install of 1.6, I got this message:

Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in nodule “TeaTimer.exe.” Read of address 00000010

Then this popped up over the above:

End Program Spybot S&D
    This program is not responding.
    End Now Cancel

So I had to “End Now” to get the shutdown to complete.

The next time I shutdown the computer, the same message appeared, etc.

When I do a “Restart,” the message does not appear—so far.

This Tea Timer version was installed on 10/21 when I did the 1.6 install, so it had to be the latest version.

Can someone explain why this happened, etc.?

Thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

spysafe:

I have no idea what is causing the following:

Quote Originally Posted by spysafe View Post
    ...Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in nodule “TeaTimer.exe.” Read of address 00000010 ...
    Do you have sufficient virtual memory (normally 2 1/2 times your physical memory) and the free disk space to support that amount of virtual memory?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Tea Timer shutdown inconsistency

I don’t have any idea of how to find out how much virtual memory my computer has. ??????

The problem hasn’t occurred in a few days, but since it did happen several times, I was very much hoping to know why in case it should reoccur.

Thank you.

spysafe:

To see virtual memory sizes (Windows XP):
    • Open the Control Panel
    • Open System (Performance and Maintenance then System if in category view).
    • In System Properties, click the Advanced tab.
    • Under Performance, click Settings.
    • In Performance Options, click the Advanced tab.
    • Under Virtual memory, click Change.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-11-07 at 06:27.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Virtual memory

I have Windows 2000, but I was able to find the virtual memory info by the map you laid out.

It says “Virtual memory—Total paging file size for all drives: 1152MB.”

I didn’t click “Change” because I am unclear as to what I should change and am fearful of doing so.

I have 7.07GB of free disk space.

Can you explain what “virtual memory” is?

Is disk space the same as physical memory?

If the virtual memory is changed, what happens? Can it be changed back to what it had been?

How can you change it?

How does this connect with the Tea Timer problem?

This is not something I know anything about.

Thank you.

spysafe:

Physical memory is RAM:

Virtual memory is a technique used by operating systems to extend the memory available to programs so that they can use more memory than is physically available. Virtual memory uses disk space to operate.

Disk Space is magnetic storage:

Or more specifically:

... How can you change it? ...
    You were in the dialog where it can be changed. But don't!!!

... How does this connect with the Tea Timer problem? ...
    I don't if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    ... I have no idea what is causing the following:

Originally Posted by spysafe
    ...Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in nodule “TeaTimer.exe.” Read of address 00000010 ...
    I was just trying to find out if you sufficient resources and you never indicated how much real memory (RAM) you had.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-11-07 at 22:06.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    I was just trying to find out if you sufficient resources and you never indicated how much real memory (RAM) you had.
    @spysafe: Tip: Is there a "Performance and Maintenance" window?

An easier way would be to right-click on "My Computer" (via Start Menu) and click "Properties".

Default Over my head

md usa spybot fan and drragostea:
    Thank you for the links to the definitions. I read the initial summary info for each one, and it gives me a little more knowledge about virtual memory. Though I need to know how to do things like uninstalling and installing application programs and the like, I will never understand anything very technical really well. I’m intelligent, but my mind does not work in that direction.

Since I have Windows 2000, there is no “Performance and Maintenance” window per se. It is: Control panel>System>Advanced>Performance Options>Virtual memory>Change.
    Since I haven’t had the Tea Timer problem (please see the earlier posts) in a while, I hope that it was a several-time fluke and is now okay. I need to move on to other problems with other applications. For instance, most of the Microsoft and Windows updates for my pc are failing, and trying to find info as to why and what to do about it is a frustrating experience for me. In addition. I need to update AdAware, but first the version I now have must be uninstalled and the new version installed. I have to start posting on their forum for info, . . . Yikes! Is there any hope of ever getting everything taken care of??

Believe it or not, I have quite a few other issues as well, . . .

Thanks for all your help.