Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure about installation/uninstalling

Default Unsure about installation/uninstalling

Title: Unsure about installation/uninstalling

I have a Dell Pentium 3, Windows 2000, and have Spybot S&D version 1.5, etc., on my pc. I am not a techie-computer-knowledgeable person from the standpoint of understanding in-depth computer instructions. I have read as many FAQs as possible and looked through the forums for the exact information I need without finding specific answers to my questions. I have spent hours trying to understand and have run out of time.

I have used Spybot without any problems in the past—other than the fact that my computer was overrun this year with multiple viruses and trojans, etc., and was scrubbed twice (at least, that’s what I was told). I am on my own now with no one to ask and must do all computer tasks myself.

It’s my understanding that everyone must install the version 1.6. From what I’ve read, it sounds like I must uninstall the version 1.5 before I can install the version 1.6. I have read and copied the uninstall instructions. I am apprehensive about following them since I don’t really know what I’m doing, specifically in regard to “deleting the installation folder and downloading the small fix.” And are the instructions saying that you should delete the Application Data folder after you finish the other uninstall steps, or that it’s better not to delete it really??

And how do you “undo immunizations” as mentioned in a post related to uninstalling?

Then I also need help understanding these basic phrases:

“Run the file”?
    “Open the file directly”?
    “Execute the file”?

I have googled them and looked in the few resources I have, but I can’t be sure I really understand them.

And what does the “integrated updater” mean? Is it using the “Update” button, which downloads the latest definitions/”include” files? Meaning that the definitions, the Resident, and the Tea Timer are all simultaneously updated, so to speak?

Also, these are file names I’ve seen. Can you tell me if I understand each of them correctly?
    1. SpybotSD.exe – the main executable file, meaning it will open the Spybot-Search & Destroy program?
    2. spybotsd16.exe – the Spybot-S&D installer, meaning the Wizard for the installation?
    3. spybotsd160.exe – the “direct installation file,” meaning the file just installs without using the Wizard to do so?

I use Firefox 3.0. (From time to time, I will use Internet Explorer 6 when necessary.) I read that there’s no “plug-in” for it. I am not clear as to what that means and what is not “protected” when using Firefox as opposed to using IE. Can you explain simply?

And last, I ran a scan of my system, obviously using the version 1.5, on October 1. It took ten hours. Any idea why it would take so long? I have a dial-up connection, but it’s never taken more than a few hours at most in the past.

I know you normally only communicate with more knowledgeable people, but how can someone who will never be a techie but who needs to maintain her computer find out things? I know that I will probably need clarity even when given answers, but I hope that you will bear with me.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Clarity about uninstall and related tasks

I am delaying the uninstall I need to do as explained until I can fully understand all aspects of it. I know these questions seem rudimentary to you, but they are crucial to me--and I did read at length as much information about the process and an installation, etc., as I could within the last several days.

Please help me with these questions. Is there no help for a computer non-wiz?

Thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

spysafe:

To completely uninstall Spybot-S&D including any system registry entries or files that may have been altered while using various features of Spybot:[list]
    • Undo features and facilities possibly added by Spybot:
      • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
        • Click "Undo" button (at the top of the right pane).
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
        • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
          • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
          • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
        • Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
          • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers.
          • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user).
          • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user).
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file (note: if you are running Spybot 1.5 this step may not be necessary if you did an immunization "Undo" with "Global hosts" profile checked in the immunization "Undo" step above.
        • Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)
      • Exit Spybot-S&D.
    • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.
    • Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.5" > Remove.
    • Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
      • Note: If you were running "SDHelper" you will have to exit all Internet Explorer sessions and may have to restart your system in order to delete the program folder.
    • If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that (I recommend that you do this since some registry entries that were used in Soybot 1.4 are no longer used in Spybot 1.5). See the following article:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Precise Uninstall steps

Thank you so much for the detailed procedural steps. I had read the “How to Uninstall?” article and some forum threads relating to uninstalling, but your outline brought everything together with greater preciseness and clarity.

I will very carefully follow the steps. I was unsure about how to use the .reg file to delete registry entries because when you click on the links to the file, it just opens up as a text file. But then I reread info I’d copied from the forums that addressed this. It explained that you have to right click on the link and “Save As Link” to save it as a .reg file. Then you just double click on it to answer Yes and then OK (as you explained).

You didn’t say if I should definitely delete the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot-Search & Destroy” file (the file for Windows 2000 where the quarantines are sent in case of the need for recovery) after uninstalling version 1.5. Should I definitely do that? I can see that there are several items listed, but they’ve been there for a while, and I guess I don’t need them. (???)

I will install the version 1.6 when I’ve finished the uninstall. I’ve read on the forums of many problems with installations—do I really need to anticipate any?

Can you recommend how I should do the download of 1.6? I understand, I think, about going to the Spybot website and choosing a download location (using a “mirror” site). But what is the difference from that and “choosing the direct installation file (a link which opens spybotsd160.exe)? I get confused in understanding the difference.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Default After looking at the areas that need to be addressed

md usa spybot fan:

While waiting for your answer to my last questions, I have been looking at the areas in Spybot that need to be unchecked (I don’t want to do the uninstall until I am sure of everything and certain that I can immediately install 1.6).

When I looked in Spybot>Mode>Advanced Mode>Tools>Hosts file, which I did without clicking the Undo in Immunizations (since I’m not yet doing the actual uninstall), though I saw the Hosts File box that was unchecked, I didn’t see the “Global hosts” profile checked in the Undo step, meaning I didn’t see any "Global hosts" item when I was in the Immunization section. Where should it be located there?

Is the Hosts File box something that would be beneficial to check in the 1.6 version when I have it installed?

And looking forward to having the 1.6 installed, what tweaks would you recommend in the Advanced Mode> Tools area? I had never been in that area before since I don’t understand it.

Should the 3 items in the IE Tweaks area be checked? And if so, what to put in the “Internet Explorer custom title:
    Current User:___________________________ Apply
    All Users: ___________________________ Apply”

slots? (Again, I am asking about the 1.6 version once I install it.)

I am amazed at those who can understand, remember, and decipher all of this stuff.

Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spysafe View Post
    ... I didn’t see any "Global hosts" item when I was in the Immunization section. Where should it be located there? ...
    It is usually the last item.

... Should the 3 items in the IE Tweaks area be checked? ...
    Only if you want those protections. Note: If you add Spybot's HOSTS file entries, the HOSTS file gets set to read only.

... And if so, what to put in the “Internet Explorer custom title:
    Current User:___________________________ Apply
    All Users: ___________________________ Apply”

slots? ...
    That is for changing title that appears in the title bar of Windows Internet Explorer and does not have anything to do with the Three "Miscellaneous Locks". I suggest that you just leave that alone.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Don't think you saw this post

md usa spybot fan:

I posted twice yesterday. Don't think you saw the first one. I'm repeating it here because I need your advice concerning its questions:

Thank you so much for the detailed procedural steps. I had read the “How to Uninstall?” article and some forum threads relating to uninstalling, but your outline brought everything together with greater preciseness and clarity.

I will very carefully follow the steps. I was unsure about how to use the .reg file to delete registry entries because when you click on the links to the file, it just opens up as a text file. But then I reread info I’d copied from the forums that addressed this. It explained that you have to right click on the link and “Save As Link” to save it as a .reg file. Then you just double click on it to answer Yes and then OK (as you explained).

You didn’t say if I should definitely delete the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot-Search & Destroy” file (the file for Windows 2000 where the quarantines are sent in case of the need for recovery) after uninstalling version 1.5. Should I definitely do that? I can see that there are several items listed, but they’ve been there for a while, and I guess I don’t need them. (???)

I will install the version 1.6 when I’ve finished the uninstall. I’ve read on the forums of many problems with installations—do I really need to anticipate any?

Can you recommend how I should do the download of 1.6? I understand, I think, about going to the Spybot website and choosing a download location (using a “mirror” site). But what is the difference from that and “choosing the direct installation file (a link which opens spybotsd160.exe)? I get confused in understanding the difference.

And last, regarding this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spysafe View Post
    ... Should the 3 items in the IE Tweaks area be checked? ...
    Only if you want those protections. Note: If you add Spybot's HOSTS file entries, the HOSTS file gets set to read only.

Is there somewhere I can read info to explain what the 3 protections mean? Do you recommend using them? Also, I don't know what a "Hosts" file is. Is there somewhere to read up on that, too?

Thank you.

Default .reg file to remove registry entries only loads as a text file

md usa spybot fan:

Please read the post I wrote before this one as there are questions I need your advice on. (I did find some info on "Hosts file" in the Help menu, but I never did see a "Global hosts" profile when I was in the Immunize section running the Undo.)

Then please finish reading this one.

I have gone through all of the uninstall steps for 1.5. I have been trying to download the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file to remove all registry entries. I right click on the link, and the only choices for "Save as Type" are "Text Document" and "All Files."

I tried adding .reg as the file name's extension and choosing "All Files." But no matter what I do, the Firefox Download Manager opens (I use Firefox) and lists the file as either ".reg.txt" or ".txt."

So I am only getting a text file. Can you explain how I can download the file as a .reg file?

I am stuck and really need to finish this uninstall and then install 1.6. I am apprehensive because Spybot is not on my computer now and I don't have it's protection. And I have a limited amount of time to complete all of this.

Please help. Thank you.

Smile

Hi spysafe,

I have gone through all of the uninstall steps for 1.5. I have been trying to download the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file to remove all registry entries. I right click on the link, and the only choices for "Save as Type" are "Text Document" and "All Files."

I tried adding .reg as the file name's extension and choosing "All Files." But no matter what I do, the Firefox Download Manager opens (I use Firefox) and lists the file as either ".reg.txt" or ".txt."

So I am only getting a text file. Can you explain how I can download the file as a .reg file?
    Hmm that is strange. I did try downloading the file with Firefox and I can confirm that I couldn't save the file as a .reg file.

1. As a work-around I suggest you try downloading the file from a different web browser e.g. Internet Explorer

If that does not work please try this:

2. spysafe, please click on the link below, download and extract the .reg file from the .zip file - Then carry on with md usa spybot fan's instructions.

If you need any help just ask

Default Additional clarity on uninstall and installation

honda 12;

Thank you so very much for your help.

In case it bears on what I ask about: I use a Dell GX110 Pentium III, 733MHz, 512MB RAM, 12GB HD, Windows 2000, and have a dial-up connection.

Referring to your registry zip file instructions, I am afraid to use IE because I am unable to install the periodic Microsoft/Windows update at this time. I fear that I have even less protection with IE because of that. I used your zip file for the registry entries’ removal—successfully, as far as I know. Again, thank you so much.

Now I need to ask questions:
    1. Though I could find the Spybot-Search & Destroy main program file in Windows Explorer, which is how I manually deleted it during the uninstall of 1.5, the Spybot program was not listed in my Windows Add/Remove Programs!! Can you help me to know why that was so? Obviously I had the program because I could click on the desktop icon and use it.

2. Did Spybot itself have an uninstall file “built in”? If so, would it have worked in lieu of Windows Add/Remove Programs (assuming Spybot had been listed there as it should have been)?

3. After I deleted the Spybot program file via Windows Explorer and completed all of the other uninstall steps for 1.5, I did a Search for any Spybot files that might be left. There were some shortcut files still there, which I deleted. As far as I can tell the only ones left now have to do with the registry file and its zip file and with files that I created to save information I have gotten from the Spybot website and forums, etc. Is there any other way to be sure all the 1.5 files are gone??

4. Why did 1.5 require an uninstall before the installation of the 1.6 upgrade, whereas the prior versions did not require uninstalling before upgrading?

5. While in the Immunize section to run the Undo, I didn’t see a “Global hosts” profile anywhere. And in the Tools section, I saw the line that said “Hosts file” (which was not checked), but did not see a “Remove Spybot S&D hosts list” button as per the instructions for the uninstall. I sure hope that sounds ok???

6. I need to start the 1.6 installation—I am fearful cause I don’t have Spybot’s protection (I have avast! and Ad-Aware, but that needs to be upgraded to the newest version and I can’t do that until I resolve all Spybot issues). So I need to install 1.6 as soon as possible. So I have questions about the installation:

a. Do you anticipate my having any problems given all the info I’ve imparted so far?
    b. As far as I know, I don’t use a proxy in Internet Explorer (not sure what it is), and I will only use IE when I must (I use Firefox after bad experiences with IE), and, as I said, right now the updates for Microsoft/Windows are failing—downloaded via Firefox (another problem I have to find out how to resolve!).
    Anyway, will I have to deal with any requests for proxy settings during the first run after the 1.6 installtion?
    How can I find out if I have IE proxy settings?

c. Since I use Default mode but I want the Resident SD Helper and the Resident Tea Timer to be on, I should check them in Advanced mode, then go back to Default mode and they’ll still be “on”? Is that correct?

d. Do you recommend that I check the 3 IE tweaks? Can you explain them to me or direct me to somewhere that will explain them?

Though I need to start the installation of 1.6 right now, I really would prefer to get your answers first. If I have any problems, the time it takes to compose a post and wait for an answer is prohibitive. I will wait for a little while in the hope that you will respond.

Again, thank you so very much for your kind help.