Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure about installation/uninstalling

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

spysafe:

1. No Idea. Since I started using Spybot with Spybot 1.2, Spybot has always added the registry entries necessary for an entry in add remove programs.
    2. It should have. The unins000.exe and unins000.dat are stored in the program folder and these are the files that add remove programs entry registry entries point to.
    3. The only files that Spybot normally creates are in the in the:
      • Program folder:
        • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Application data folder:
        • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy ( in Windows 2000).
        • Note: The application data directory (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy) contains logs, configuration settings, etc. I do not recommend deleting that directory unless you are permanently uninstalling Spybot.
    4. Because of the evolution of Spybot and the changes between various new releases of Spybot, my personally opinion is that you should always fully uninstall the previous version of Spybot before installing a new one. Although installing new versions of Spybot over old ones normally works, it has in the past left remnants of old versions in the system (part of the reason for the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file). For example going from Spybot 1.4 to higher versions of Spybot causes:
      • Having two entries in Add/Remove programs.
      • The orphaning of immunization registry entries in registry hives no longer being immunized in Spybot-S&D 1.5.
    5. That's entirely possible. In Spybot 1.4 and below adding Spybot's HOSTS file entries was a definitely a separate facility in the Tools facility. Because of the close proximity of the final release of Spybot 1.5 and the beta testing for Spybot 1.6, I may have confused exactly when the "Global (Hosts)" item was added to the "Immunize" facility
    6. ...
      1. No.
      2. You shouldn't have a problem with proxies if you don't use a proxy server. However, there seem to a problem caused by certain firewalls blocking access to the internet without notification when trying to do updates during the installation. Actually I believe that this problem actually started in Spybot 1.5 with introduction of a separate update program (SDUpdate.exe) so if you didn't encounter the problem with Spybot 1.5 you shouldn't encounter it now. In any case, the solution to this problem is to skip trying to updating during the installation and update after the installation, making sure that you authorize program SDUpdate.exe to access the internet via your firewall. Read my suggestion in post #5 of this thread:
      3. Both the resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) and resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) are checked by default in the "Select Additional Tasks" screen of installation process.
      4. Entirely your choice. There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:
        • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
          • Will be automatically be added if you immunize "Global (Hosts)"
        • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
          • If you use TeaTimer you should be warned of changes of your IE Home Page (Start Page) without the lock in place.
        • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
          • Prevents the use of Internet Explorer » Tools » Internet Options. I personally find this option inconvenient.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Deleting the Application Data file, etc.

Thank you so much for all the answers and explanations—they are very helpful. As is often the case, many things were answered, but additional questions arose as a result of the info I received. Please refer to the prior post(s) for completely understanding the context of these questions if necessary:

1. md usa spybot fan: You recommend not deleting C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot-Search & Destroy (Windows 2000) unless permanently uninstalling Spybot because it contains logs, configuration settings, etc. But in researching how to handle the uninstall, I read this information in the “How to Uninstall” link:

How to uninstall[link]
    Spybot-S&D will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove does not help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\), then download this very small fix and execute it (important! - this will remove all remains from the registry).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

• Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    • Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    • Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you cannot find this folder please check your folder properties. For an instruction, please click here.)

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes. (See the next section copied from a forum where someone was saying they’d not been able to uninstall immunizations and the Tea Timer. Immunizations?)
    So I asked whether I should delete the Application Data file or not in an earlier post in this thread but when I next received a response, that question was not answered. Because of the time to post and wait for responses, I made the decision to press on with the uninstall, and it seemed that it would be okay to delete the Application Data file given what the FAQ said. So I deleted the Application Data file.

Will installing 1.6 reinstall a new Application Data file? Will I then be okay?

2. I don’t have a firewall, so doing updating while installing 1.6 shouldn’t affect me. But I assume I don’t use a proxy server with Internet Explorer—or Firefox—since I never set one up (as far as I know). But I’m not really sure what a “proxy server” is, and I humbly ask if anyone could explain it to me and whether setting one up would be “forgettable”?

3. Since I didn’t have Spybot in the Add/Remover Programs, but I manually deleted the C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy file, removed the registry entries by using the remover download from Spybot, and deleted the Application Data file, I can be sure that I’ve removed all traces of 1.5???
    You may think I'm beating the proverbial dead horse, but I want to be sure I've done all I can to delete what needs to be deleted before I install 1.6.

Would it be feasible to allow “Hidden files” to be shown and then to do a Search for any Spybot files in an effort to guarantee that there aren’t any left? Of course, then if I saw any more, I’d have to ask first whether to get rid of them, given my uncertainty as to what I’m doing.

4. What is the “integrated updater”?

Again, though I need to install 1.6 as my pc is even more vulnerable without Spybot, I await the reply to these questions before doing so.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by spysafe View Post
    So I asked whether I should delete the Application Data file or not in an earlier post in this thread but when I next received a response, that question was not answered. Because of the time to post and wait for responses, I made the decision to press on with the uninstall, and it seemed that it would be okay to delete the Application Data file given what the FAQ said. So I deleted the Application Data file.

Will installing 1.6 reinstall a new Application Data file? Will I then be okay?

2. I don’t have a firewall, so doing updating while installing 1.6 shouldn’t affect me. But I assume I don’t use a proxy server with Internet Explorer—or Firefox—since I never set one up (as far as I know). But I’m not really sure what a “proxy server” is, and I humbly ask if anyone could explain it to me and whether setting one up would be “forgettable”?

3. Since I didn’t have Spybot in the Add/Remover Programs, but I manually deleted the C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy file, removed the registry entries by using the remover download from Spybot, and deleted the Application Data file, I can be sure that I’ve removed all traces of 1.5???
    You may think I'm beating the proverbial dead horse, but I want to be sure I've done all I can to delete what needs to be deleted before I install 1.6.

Would it be feasible to allow “Hidden files” to be shown and then to do a Search for any Spybot files in an effort to guarantee that there aren’t any left? Of course, then if I saw any more, I’d have to ask first whether to get rid of them, given my uncertainty as to what I’m doing.

4. What is the “integrated updater”?

Again, though I need to install 1.6 as my pc is even more vulnerable without Spybot, I await the reply to these questions before doing so.

Thank you.
    Hello SpySafe. Uninstalling Spybot-Search&Destroy via the Add/Remove Programs window (via Control Panel) will remove Spybot from your computer (generally the program), however it will leave behind traces (as md usa spybot fan pointed out, logs, cache, and backup files from Quarantine). I think uninstalling Spybot will remove it's Program File Folder, but it will not remove it's Application Folder (correct me if I'm wrong). The reason that the Application folder is hidden is because it is important.
    Reinstalling Spybot-SD 1.6 will add a new Program Folder. In previous posts, md, said that you should not remove the Application Folder unless you are removing Spybot pernamently.
    If you are upgrading from an older version, I think the Application Folder will be overwritten with the new data.

2. Not having a firewall is not good! It will leave you vulnerable in the Internet, I hope you know that.
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall4.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall#Proxies (Includes information about Firewalls and Proxies)

I'm not so familar with setting up "proxies", but what I can tell you is that it can be difficult to trace a connection through a proxy. It's more like hiding/covering a connection when you are connecting through a proxy.

3. Removing Spybot via Add/Remove Programs>Reboot>Delete Application Data Folder> +"small fix" should ensure that all traces of Spybot-Search&Destroy are removed. In other words, you're good for a fresh install .
    I wouldn't really go through the effort of unhiding "hidden" files/folders to search, because basically the Application Folder is all you need to remove.

4. The integrated Updator is basically the update function within Spybot. Simple. It will search for updates for TeaTimer (Resident Shield), the program itself, and definition updates.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-10-20 at 01:52.

Default Application Data folder deletion--assurance that new installation will be ok

drragostea:

Thank you so much for your help and explanations.

Let me explain again: I did not have Spybot-Search & Destroy listed in my “Windows Add/Remove Programs,” so I deleted the C:\Program File\Spybot-Search & Destroy file manually since I had no other choice as far as I knew. I also used the registry remover file which I downloaded from the Spybot website.

Then because I didn’t receive an answer as to whether or not I should delete the Application Data file (“C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\” for Windows 2000), and because I thought the FAQ explanation on “How to Uninstall” indicated that it would be okay to delete the Application Data file if you didn’t think you’d need it for any quarantined items (that is the only thing mentioned that the file contains in that explanation), I deleted it. Again, I had asked if it was okay to delete it, but I didn’t receive an answer.

(If all the posts in this thread are read it can be seen that I have explained everything that I have done and asked detailed questions to be sure I was doing things correctly, given any limitations I was working under. When only the last post is read, much is lost in the understanding of what I’ve done and already mentioned.)

So I think my biggest concern right now is about having removed the Application Data file. I wasn’t told that I shouldn’t delete that file unless I was removing Spybot permanently until after I’d already deleted it because I didn’t get an answer about it, and I needed to move on and accomplish the work entailed with the Spybot uninstall and installation of 1.6.

drragostea writes:
    If you are upgrading from an older version, I think the Application Folder will be overwritten with the new data.

1. Does that mean that even though I have deleted the Application Folder, when I install 1.6 a new Application Folder will be installed and I will be alright? If not, what can I do to make it alright? In other words, how can I successfully install 1.6 and have everything work as it should????

Then when drragostea writes:
    “. Removing Spybot via Add/Remove Programs>Reboot>Delete Application Data Folder> +"small fix" should ensure that all traces of Spybot-Search&Destroy are removed. In other words, you're good for a fresh install .
    I wouldn't really go through the effort of unhiding "hidden" files/folders to search, because basically the Application Folder is all you need to remove.”

That statement makes it sound like it was okay to remover the Application Folder, even though I intend to install the latest version of Spybot. So this question repeats question #1: When I install 1.6, will it create a new Application Data folder, and will the installation be complete???

So this seems also to indicate that removing the Application Data folder will not be a detriment. Right???

When I install 1.6, I will just be given a new Application Data folder??? Is that right???

2. About Firewalls: I can just barely handle the antivirus and two spyware programs on my computer. I have a dial-up connection, and my computer is a Pentium III (all of this I explained in earlier posts in this thread)—all of which means my system (and my mind and energy) can only handle what I now have to work with. Adding a Firewall (yes, I would have one if I had a newer computer with a fast-speed internet connection, and I had unending time and computer knowledge to deal with it) is not feasible for me given my circumstances.
    But I appreciate the links to info about firewalls and proxies. I will read them as soon as I can.

I have many other “issues” I need to deal with regarding my computer. Uninstalling and installing on Spybot is just one of them. I have been posting for almost a week in order to get all the info I need to take care of Spybot. This is said to illustrate the time-consuming effort that must be put forth to do things for the computer. I keep trying not to have panic attacks because I can’t get Spybot taken care of and move on to the other things that must also be done.

Thank you for bearing with my detailed questions for I don’t have the capability of dealing with computers as many in the forum do. I read what I can find and ask about everything that I need clarification on. If I make a major mistake, I don’t have the expertise or the money to pay someone with expertise to rectify it.

Please let me know about the Application Data folder question as asked in as many ways above as I could think of to make it clear what I need to know.

I understand your concern, however we are going in a loop. I will clarify this one more time.

I can tell you the responses that you receive will be more detailed than the one stated in the FAQ.

You have uninstalled Spybot-Search&Destroy already. Alright, good. Now you have run the "small fix" (.reg file) which cleared the rest of the remaining registry keys after uninstallation.

And yes... your query about whether or not to removing the Application Data folder was answered (if not partially).
    You have to listen. I've said before (and md usa spybot fan) that the Application folder is important (thus it is hidden from view, unless you disable the hidden folders option) which includes logs, quaratine items, cache, and other important components (or files).

In your situation, if you plan for a clean (I'm telling you one last time, removing the registry keys via 'small fix', uninstalling Spybot-Search&Destroy, deleting the Application and Program Files folders will be as clean as it gets. I'm literally saying you can't find Spybot anymore, it's all wiped clean for a fresh installation, spysafe.

Yes, you were told that you shouldn't delete the Application Data file unless you were removing Spybot permanently. The Application Data folder will include the Quarantines. So in case you want to reinstall Spybot in the future, you may retain your previous settings and Quarantine.

1. When you wipe out the Application folder, you are clearing the old data from previous installations of Spybot (say like you are upgrading), thus you would be clean and ready for Spybot-SD 1.6. When you install Spybot (latest version) a new Application Folder will be written with new data. You will be fine trust me.

You said that, you wanted to go through the effort of unhiding Hidden folders via the Folders option (thus, hidden files that are not normally in view such as .db (database), thumbnail files, and configuration files will be shown).
    What I'm saying is that it is not neccessary to go through that path. You clean when you remove the Application Data Folder.
    My statement in your quote basically says, it is okay to remove the Application folder (either you want Spybot off your machine permanently or prepare for a fresh install).

spysafe, The Application Folder has been answered as lucid as possible and I've given my fullest and honest perspective. And it's been answered in all different ways .
    Let me say it again, there will be no damage or data loss because you are just removing the Application Data folder of just SPYBOT (capitalized for emphasis), nothing else.

2. Sorry to hear about your troubles. An anti-virus program and one or more anti-spyware program will do adequately.
    I don't use proxies, as it is just as alien as it is to me as it is to you. Your dial-up connection will do just fine... I really don't think connecting through a proxy will make your situation any better.

The forums are here for a reason. We (members and Spybot) are here to provide you with the utmost support.
    I enjoy helping others and I hope my long explanation has cleared your doubts.

Best regards,
    drragostea.

Default Installation successful and profuse thanks

drragostea:
    Thank you very, very much for the long explanation. Please know that your generous help and advice is irreplaceable and very appreciated. I know that pressing to get an answer that was entirely clear to me was trying for you. When I read FAQ and other forum posts, then receive answers directly to my forum posts, the information sometimes seems contradictory or unclear. Because some questions remain unaddressed when I’ve sent more than one post to the forum since I was last replied to, I am compelled to repeat (ad nauseum, I realize) some queries (usually because only the last prior post is replied to and the prior ones before that are not seen).

The inability to speak to you directly causes some explanations to lose their intended meaning. This is just a drawback to the necessity of communicating in this way. Then, too, the language differences and the nuances of interpretation sometimes leave uncertainty as to the exact meaning of what is being conveyed. I dare to repeat things until my understanding of them is sound. Please forgive the annoyance this may create for you.

In my situation with the uninstall of 1.5, since I had several strikes against me, so to speak (not having Spybot on my Windows Add/Remove Program and having to delete the file manually, having to be sent a registry remover file via zip since the file wouldn’t open in Firefox as a .reg file, and having deleted the Application Data folder before I was advised against that if I were going to subsequently install the current version of Spybot), I just had to keep asking until I knew that I would be okay to install 1.6.

So, again, I thank drragostea, honda 12, and ms usa spybot fan—you each have been extremely helpful to me. I couldn’t have done the uninstall without you. I know that I can look forward to receiving excellent advice each time I need to ask about Spybot -Search & Destroy.

Okay, guys, I finally installed the 1.6 version. Everything went smoothly—thanks to all you instructed me to do for the 1.5 uninstall. I did have one “Uh oh” thing happen, though: during the First Run Wizard on Step 3, it said that a registry backup could be done to enable restoration of original settings if spyware destroyed some of them. I didn’t expect this and inadvertently clicked the Next button when I had intended to see what creating the registry backup entailed. There was no option to go back, so I had to go on without having done a registry backup.

So I need to ask about that. But first let me explain that I don’t do backups of my system (I know it’s important, don’t chastise me). I don’t have a CD-RW drive, I don’t have a second harddrive, nor do I have flashdrives. My finances are such that these things are not obtainable for me. Until this year, I’d not had problems with spyware and viruses, and the need to have backups hadn’t arisen. Backing up with floppy disks would take more time than I’ve had to devote to it.

Anyway, how detrimental is it that no registry backup was created by Spybot during the first run?

How would this registry backup have been created???

Is there any way other than by doing a backup myself to now do one? If that were possible for me to do, would Spybot be able to access any needed files should the situation arise?

What if the backup of the registry had been done when given the chance during the First Run Wizard and some of those entries backed up were already harmed by spyware? Wouldn’t that be copying defective files to be used to restore from?

Switching the subject, should Spybot only be run in Safe Mode if there are recurring spyware items each time a regular scan is run?

I have avast! antivirus/antispyware and Ad-Aware (though it needs to be updated) as well as Spybot-Search & Destroy. Should I do an update, immunization, and scan once a week with Spybot?

I will say again that I am very grateful to the help you guys have given me. Thank you for sharing your expertise and for your patience. drragostea, thank you also for the great links about firewalls and proxies—these websites are going to help me a lot in the future I think.

I understand that you wanted a clear, definite answer. And that is why I am here, to assist you and answer your queries. If you have any questions, do not heisitate to ask. I will continue answering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spysafe
    In my situation with the uninstall of 1.5, since I had several strikes against me, so to speak (not having Spybot on my Windows Add/Remove Program and having to delete the file manually,
    If you were to have that problem (you should have asked earlier), then I would have suggested that you reinstall Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5. Basically, the idea is that it is the same exact files that the Spybot 1.5 has installed on your machine, so the same .exe (executable) is going to replace the same files and thus the uninstall file too, so it'll show in your Add/Remove Programs window (via Control Panel).

Basically, during Step 3, what Spybot will do is exactly what the message says, a registry backup in case malware should infect some important keys.
    So I need to ask about that. But first let me explain that I don’t do backups of my system (I know it’s important, don’t chastise me).
    I don't chatise (punish) people for no reason , just kidding.
    Anyway, how detrimental is it that no registry backup was created by Spybot during the first run?
    I can't be sure about that, but I'll give my best opinion. A Spybot Team Member should answer it better than me on this question.
    I'm not sure if Spybot performs a registry "restore" or some kind of similiar function, but it should literally "backup" the registry to enable restorance at a later time. What I can you is that, protect and educate yourself about malware and hopefully you will not need a registry restorance.
    Thing is I do not know 'where' or 'how' Spybot does this backup and where it is located, but if someone can step up and answer that, it would be great.

About creating the registry backup, it should be a .reg probably located in one of Spybot-SD's Application Folder.
    You can backup the registry manually (just take extreme caution when manually editing one/any key).
    Run 'regedit' (without quotes) and click File>Export. Name it and it will be a .reg file. It would be a couple of MB's. Around 60+MB (I'm roughly assuming, because mine came out as 96MB).
    -(Switch Subjects)
    The basic idea is that Spybot should be run in Safe Mode if there are persistent malware that is active during Normal Boot (very hard to remove by Spybot, because either the file is locked or is in use).
    If it is mere cookies, then it is not neccessary to run in Safe Mode. However, if it is some minor malware (of course you would want it off your machine) that reappears consistantly, then you might want to consider running in Safe Mode.
    Your configuration makes a good team (you might should install a firewall, if you have not mentioned it).
    Spybot-SD can be run and updated any time, but for me, I would update and run it once a week. A week for a scan is enough for me because updates come in every week, not daily.

Tip: If you have the finaces, purchase a flashdrive/thumbdrive because it will save you a lot of time. Floppy disks are like CDs and are a thing of the past. I mean like it's not overwriteable. Once you write it to Floppy, it is permanent (confirm?). Flashdrives can store a lot more data and data is exchanged a lot faster (utilizing USB 2.0).
    What if the backup of the registry had been done when given the chance during the First Run Wizard and some of those entries backed up were already harmed by spyware? Wouldn’t that be copying defective files to be used to restore from?
    Erm, can you reword that. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding. Do you mean: If you have made a registry backup already (prior to installing Spyobt) and make on again during installation, that is making two copies of the same file. And if there were infected registry keys, then it would mean exporting infected keys along with it?

Default Wizard Registry backup and Tea Timer Access at shutdown

1.Yes, I would appreciate it if a Spybot Team member could address this issue:

“Okay, guys, I finally installed the 1.6 version. Everything went smoothly—thanks to all you instructed me to do for the 1.5 uninstall. I did have one “Uh oh” thing happen, though: during the First Run Wizard on Step 3, it said that a registry backup could be done to enable restoration of original settings if spyware destroyed some of them. I didn’t expect this and inadvertently clicked the Next button when I had intended to see what creating the registry backup entailed. There was no option to go back, so I had to go on without having done a registry backup.”

“Anyway, how detrimental is it that no registry backup was created by Spybot during the first run? “

“How would this registry backup have been created???”

“Is there any way other than by doing a backup myself to now do one? If that were possible for me to do, would Spybot be able to access any needed files should the situation arise?”

“What if the backup of the registry had been done when given the chance during the First Run Wizard and some of those entries backed up were already harmed by spyware? Wouldn’t that be copying defective files to be used to restore from?”

drragostea: Let me see if I can better explain what I’m asking about in the last paragraph:
    If I had allowed the First Run Wizard to do the registry backup that it could do, is it possible that there may have been “infected” files (with spyware, etc.) in some of the registry entries backed up? If so, then if I ever needed to restore registry entries from this Spybot backup, wouldn’t it be restoring with defective files?

2. A new problem:The first time I shut down the computer after having done the install of 1.6, I got this message:

Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in nodule “TeaTimer.exe.” Read of address 00000010

Then this popped up over the above:

End Program Spybot S&D
    This program is not responding.
    End Now Cancel

So I had to “End Now” to get the shutdown to complete.

The next time I shutdown the computer, the same message appeared, etc.

When I do a “Restart,” the message does not appear—so far.

This Tea Timer version was installed on 10/21 when I did the 1.6 install, so it had to be the latest version.

Please help. Thanks to everyone.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

spysafe:
    1. When you optionally do a "Create registry backup" during the installation process, two files are created:
      • regLocal.reg
      • regUsers.reg

The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
      • Windows 95 or 98:
        C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
      • Windows ME:
        C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
      • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
      • Vista:
        C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups

There is no facility that I am aware of within Spybot to restore from these backups. Since they are .reg files, to use them all you would have to do is double on the file(s) and Registry Editor should start. If you then clicked "Yes" the content of the file would be added/merged into the registry. You then click "OK" to close the program.

These backups are relatively large portions of the systems Registry and I personally would hesitate to use those backups to restore the Registry (at least in their entirety) because once you've run your system for any period of time they would be outdated and could possibly do has much harm as good.

If you didn't create them and would like to:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
      • Click on the Wizard button at the top of the Settings screen.
      • Click on the "Create registry backup" button.
      • After "Create registry backup" completes, click next until you get to step 7 of 7 and then click "Start using the program". Since you are already running Spybot the wizard just terminates.

2. What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) are you running?

To determine that:
      • Right click on the TeaTimer icon (actually labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") in the notification area (system tray area) of the taskbar.
      • Select "About".
      • This should yield a pop-up dialog with both the version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and the "System settings protector" (TeaTimer).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Registry backup via Spybot Wizard and requested Tea Timer version

ms usa spybot fan:

Thanks for the info about the registry that Spybot can create during the First Run Wizard after an installation. If the entries are soon obsolete, and thus of no real benefit, and it is risky to use them to muck around in the registry, . . .why is the capability to create this backup an option?

My Tea Timer (Systems Settings Protector) version is 1.6.3.25.

Thank you.