Thread: Unfortunate interaction of autoupdate and stalled updates

Question Unfortunate interaction of autoupdate and stalled updates

I have configured Spybot S&D to autoupdate when starting. For the past three days, the "Update progress" dialog has been stalled, with no progress. The Cancel button is non-responsive. :(

I do not see how to get past this point. There doesn't appear to be a "don't autoupdate, just run the program" command line option. Nor does there appear to be anything similar. Is there a config file or registry setting I can flip to turn off the autoupdating?

Because of this interaction between hanging updating and autoupdating, I request/recommend a feature for the next release of Spybot S&D, TeaTimer: Please add a menu item for "Options..." or "Preferences..." or "Settings..." so that these can be set/reset without having to have a working program.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Whatever action you took to turn on automatic updating, just reverse it.

If you are using the command line parameter "/autoupdate", remove it.

If you set "Search the web for new versions at each program start." in Spybot's Settings:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Uncheck the first item in the list "Search the web for new versions at each program start."

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default IMpossible Remedy

The suggested remedy for "Search the web for new versions at each program start." in Spybot's Settings, which is what has been set is impossible. Performing the remedy would require that Spybot actually load an interface. Since the option is set, this would require that Spybot ever either successfully download something, give up, or respond to "Cancel" clicks. None of those things ever happen.

I would be thrilled to get to part one of the proposed solution: "Go into Spybot". This is, in fact, exactly what is failing to be possible.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybot's Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Using Windows Explorer navigate to the Configuration.ini file and open it with Notepad. Scroll down until you see the following section:
    • [Automation\WebUpdate]

Change the following:
    • AutoCheck=1

To:
    • AutoCheck=0

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Fixed.

Cool. Fixed.

I also recommend/request the feature mentioned above...

Or...

All auto-* items are skipped if the <shift> key is held down during startup.

Or something similar.

Exclamation Download errors and hangups

This does not address that like with my spybot, the updates are hanging up.

When they attempt to download, at best I get "bad checksum" error message, it is also trying to re-download the march 10th updates I already recieved.

This is from all the servers I have available on the pulldown bar.

It hangs up on download, refuses to cancel download, and when I cancel manually (control-alt-delete) I usually have to reboot the computer (otherwise flawlessly running custom built AMD Athlon64 based system using XP home and a router distributed home network using ADSL for shared internet access) because the internet is still "jammed" by the download even after the program is halted. Rebooting the computer resolves this and allows internet access again to all programs.

Help?

Hello,

Please try to download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot