Thread: Conflict between Spybot & AVG8...has it been resolved?

Default Conflict between Spybot & AVG8...has it been resolved?

Hi! I've read in one forum that there's conflict between Spybot & AVG8 which will result in the flagging up by AVG8 of warnings relating to "ActiveX Compatibility" registry keys which when healed by AVG8 will result to change into the unprotected mode regarding Spybot's immunization of I.E. , Firefox and the Hosts file. Has it been resolved? AVG itself proclaims this incompatibility with the immunization feature here.

I am using AVG8 but I am now missing Spybot(I was forced to uninstall Spybot because of this conflict) especially it's fast scanning and the systems setting protector(TeaTimer) feature. I have searched this forum but I don't see an update regarding this conflict. Thanks!
    Windows XP MCE(SP3),IE7 & FireFox3(default),HostsMan,AVG Free 8,CCleaner,MBAM,SUPERAntispyware,F-Secure BlackLight AntiRootKit,ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.483

Hmmm... you would have to ask AVG.

Misinterpreting those ActiveX controls is a bit "lame"... these entries contain the information to recognize if they're good or bad... not looking at these details is like identifying malware files by filename only

Anyway, you could always use Spybot-S&D without immunizing (or immunizing everything but IE).

How exactly were you "forced"? Did AVG prompt you to remove Spybot?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

This problem was resolved long ago - at the beginning of August I believe.

The Active X false positive problem was resolved with the release of AVG v8.0.138 (aka SP1 update).
    The current version is now v8.0.173 and there are no problems running Spybot or Spyware Blaster alongside AVG Free v8.

Default With AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5.364 can't load spybot

Although this is a dated thread, my problem is similar.

While I haven't "removed" AVG, yet; so far, I can confirm that with AVG installed, I can install spybot (it appears in the tray) but can not run it. When I run it, it begins to load and then the system freezes. I'm treating this as a possible infection of some sort (in another forum malware removal) but wanted to add to this base note that it does appear that an interaction with AVG remains.

Would make sense for someone, rather than pointing, to just state that there is an issue with co-existing. No blame... just information.

A big fan of S&D... disappointed that I'm having problems with in on another desktop. dr

(Not a request for help, just sharing a new date for the same old problem 6/2009)

Default Spybot still not loading (after AVG 8.5 removed)

Just closing my thought. Removed AVG, rebooted, and still spybot will not run (stalls during the loading screen.) Again, will be working with malware removal team; but the machine comes up clean: mbam, ccleaner, kapersky, no root kits, hjt doesn't appear to show anything.... odd. Will update you here... but will work the detail elsewhere. dr