Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Virtumonde.prx, can't boot

Oops, one more question. I just noticed that I have LimeWire on my computer, downloaded back in January, 2007. To my recollection, I have never used it, and I didn't even know I had it. It does not show up under Control Panel > Add-Remove Programs, and the Windows Install Clean Up Utility doesn't show it either. There is a LimeWire folder in my Program Files, and it contains a whole bunch of "Executable Jar Files" with Java icons, but it does not contain an Uninstall Limewire icon. Any suggestions on how to remove this P2P file?

The LimeWire version is 1.0.0.2. The Malware Removal web site that Spybot directs me to says that LimeWire 4.12 is clean. Should I go to the LimeWire site and upgrade to the newer version, then uninstall, or should I try to get rid of the current 1.0.0.2 version?

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

This is out policy concerning all p2p programs:
    File Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer. (P2P)
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=282
    If your helper detects the presence of such programs on your computer he/she will ask you to remove them. Help will be withdrawn should you not agree to their removal.
    I can't help without reinstalling combofix and using a script to remove Limewire. I suggest you use Seach Companion. Start > Search > All files and folder > then search for Limewire. Write down the location of all files, then boot to safe mode when the program will not be running and delete anything SC located.

Hope that helps...
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Yeah, I had already read the policy. That's why I turned myself in when I noticed the LimeWire folder. Wonder why it didn't show up when we ran HijackThis, ComboFix, SpyBot, or Mbam?

I guess it worked. When I rebooted a balloon popped up in the lower right corner that said "Program Changes Detected. Program(s) removed: Limewire 1." Thanks.

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

It did, but once I say the AWF infection which is very bad, I concentrated on it.
    Reg Loading Points <<< in the combofix lig

"C:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe"=
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Well, let me repeat my earlier post: I think we have done what we set out to accomplish, and I believe we can retire this thread. I greatly appreciate your expert, clear, very patient, not to mention successful, help with my problem. I hope that I won't need your services again, but I will certainly recommend this forum to any family or friends who have the misfortune of getting infected. Thank you!