Thread: what does spybot immunize

Default what does spybot immunize

after a brand new install doenloaded spybot, updated it and spybot found immediately thousands of things to immunize. In Windows XP itself? Just what does spybot find and what does it immunize? any explanation is appreciated

number7king, you might want to read this thread first:
    How Spybot-SD protects against the installation of spyware/malware

Basically, Immunization does not Immunize "Windows XP" itself, rather the Windows HOSTS file. It will add "bad" domains/sites to the HOSTS file and your browsers blacklists/block. The entries in the HOSTS file will be redirected to 127.0.0.1 which would be your own machine. So basically, in other words the Immunization feature is passive protection.

To expand on Drragostea's reply:

The Spybot immunisation feature provides protection against potential infections - and has the same meaning as a medical immunisation against a disease. It prevents a possible future infection by preparing your computer to resist the invasion by specific malicious software. It does this by adding registry and Hosts file entries that block the installation of specific spyware software.

Spybot restricts the allowed actions of specific Domains, IP addresses and Cookies within most common Internet browsers to prevent malicious behaviour such as running hidden scripts. Spybot does this by updating the security sections already built in to most browsers with the latest lists of malicious sites. It also adds entries to The Hosts file that prevent any access to certain web addresses - so preventing any possible downloads from those sites either directly or by attacking software.

thanks for the info and link everyone. It helps to understand the idea behind immunize

I'm glad I was able to help you (I'm sure DougCuk would say the same). And thank you DougCuk for the detailed explanation. It refreshes my memory too.

Safe surfing.