Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem opening Spybot SD scanning

Default Problem opening Spybot SD scanning

(I have WinXP Home ver. SP2, SpybotSD 1.6 just updated).

Hello, hope someone could help please?

Each time I click on the icon to start scanning, it shows a window asking if I want "English" (haven't found how to omit it). Then it takes me through all the installation process steps each time I want to scan!

Then after a long wait the Wizard window appears asking to click on several steps until it says "Start using the program"...while behind it, it's the open program.

I wonder why I have to go through all of this each time, instead of getting it right after clicking on the icon as in the past?

Hoping with thanks to know why and how to avoid this longer path. Adela

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Adela:

It sounds as if the icon you are clicking on is not for SpybotSD.exe but for an installation program (possibly spybotsd160.exe or another program).

Right click on the icon and select properties. The "Target:" information should read:
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
      --- or possibly ---
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /advancedmode

What does your "Target:" information say?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello and thank you MD USA! I followed your directions to find the "Target" but I found first this: "spybotsd160.exe. I didn't find any "Target" name, only "location", could this be it, and under location it only showed: C:\Documents and Settings\AdelaMain\Desktop. I have a hunch this isn't the target, but I looked all over for it and didn't see it.

I do have another icon, a yellow folder but it shows only a long list of documents with their own icons by their sides, such as:

Yellow folders named: Languages, Dummies, Updates, Help, etc.

Also different icons named mostly "Screen Savers", plus blindmen, etc. all with strange looking names...

...and that's why I kept using the icon that kept me installing it forever...

Do you think we can still find what's wrong and correct it? Thanks so much! Adela

Adela:

Since it appears that the shortcut that you are using does not point to Spybot's main executable (SpybotSD.exe), delete the one that you have and create a new one.

To create a new shortcut to SpybotSD.exe:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Right click on SpybotSD.exe and select "Create Shortcut" (if you do not see SpybotSD.exe, read Note #1).
    • Drag the newly created shortcut to your desktop.
    • Double click on the new shortcut and see if Spybot launches properly.

_____

Note #1: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Adela:
    Since it appears that the shortcut that you are using does not point to Spybot's main executable (SpybotSD.exe), delete the one that you have and create a new one.

To create a new shortcut to SpybotSD.exe:
    • Right click on SpybotSD.exe and select "Create Shortcut" (if you do not see SpybotSD.exe, read Note #1).
    • Drag the newly created shortcut to your desktop.
    • Double click on the new shortcut and see if Spybot launches properly.

___
    Note #1: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.
    Oh md usa, I just found "Target" (it wasn't there by clicking on the icon, but through the "All programs", and it says):

"C:\Documents and Settings\AdelaMain\Desktop\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

When I clicked on properties through the icon, a window titled: "spybotsd160.exe Properties" appeared, and right below it, it said: "spybotsd160.exe"...I tried to find here the "Create a Shortcut" but didn't have it.

...so, which of the two you think I should delete in order to create a new one as you so kindly directed? Probably the first (long) one above? But I tried also there to find the "Create a Shortcut" but didn't, maybe I should delete it first?:

So sorry that I'm taking more of your time and thanks so much, I feel I'm getting closer to resolving this problem - hopefully... Adela

Hello again...thought I'd report that I finally found the spybotsd160.exe, and created a shortcut, but when trying to drag it to the desktop by dropping it on that little icon in the taskbar ("Show Desktop"), it didn't get placed though I tried 4 times.

I wonder what I did wrong? I tried copying it but couldn't paste it on the desktop. Is there another way to put it in the desktop maybe?

Thanks again for new help... Adela

Lightbulb

Try this.

Right Click on SpybotSD.exe and choose the "Send To Destop" option and that will create a shortcut on the desktop it's self.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Terminator:

Thank you. I never used that option before and it is easier than the create, drag and drop method.

Talking

No problem md.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks so much to MD and Terminator, I'm sorry that for some reason I wasn't notified this time...

I tried again with the new suggestion, but (leave it to me!) I couldn't find the spybotsd.exe this time. So I'm deleting it from the control panel and will start from scratch by downloading it again.

Thanks again so very much! Adela

P.S. Terminator I love that little police head...