Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem opening Spybot SD scanning

So sorry to write again, but when I went here to download:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

I saw several versions and I'm confused. Could someone tell me which of the versions they show I should download? Is it the first one only?

Thanks so much again! Adela

Download "spybot160", the program installer itself. Here's an easier way, just download it here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Download "spybot160", the program installer itself. Here's an easier way, just download it here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -
    Thank you, drragostea, I've become a pest, but this link also shows different downloads - 3 to start, then 4 hosted by Safer-Networking, and Further Mirrors, etc. Are they all the same so that I can click on any of these downloads? I tried one and it said something with the word "beta" in it, but I heard that betas may give problems, and I have so many already.... lol!

Could you or someone indicate one specific free spybotsd that I should download?

Please forgive my persistence in asking, and I appreciate so much your helping me! Adela

Lightbulb any of those

links will work. but if you want it easier, download from this link: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd160.exe

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Adela:

re:

Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post

... I tried again with the new suggestion, but (leave it to me!) I couldn't find the spybotsd.exe this time. ...
    Reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post

... Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Talking

Hello with thanks to md usa! I followed your instructions below but found no "Tools Menu"... :

Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.

Then I searched and followed the "Hidden files and folders" instructions below. And I repeated your above instructions (C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy) but, again, there was no "Tools Menu"...(?)

Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
    Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
    Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
    Uncheck the following option:
    Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    Click the Apply button.
    Click the OK button.
    The files should now be displayed

Also hello with thanks to 129260! I used the link you so kindly gave me and it installed the spybotsd with a shortcut and evertyhing and I hastened to open and scan...but, again, it shows me first to click whether I want English, and then I have to install it each time I open to scan, several times, until it does open. So I decided to just go along with this suffering rather than keep trying so many things. It must be my computer that prevents fixing this problem, but I'm lost...

To all the friends here who tried to help me, a BIG THANK YOU for your knowledge and kind patience!!! Adela

Lightbulb your probably...

just keep opening the installer file. You want to delete the spybotsd160.exe icon that you used to install spybot with, on your desktop or wherever you put it. The link i gave you, that file installs spybot, after installing it delete it. Then you want to go to start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot. That will open the program spybot.

Also, are you running Microsoft vista? If so, to see the tools menu, hit the alt key (on the keyboard) while in my computer or the window where you see the files, then click tools and follow the directions.

ok? I hope that helps you!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-11-06 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    just keep opening the installer file. You want to delete the spybotsd160.exe icon that you used to install spybot with, on your desktop or wherever you put it. The link i gave you, that file installs spybot, after installing it delete it. Then you want to go to start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot. That will open the program spybot.
    Also, are you running Microsoft vista? If so, to see the tools menu, hit the alt key (on the keyboard) while in my computer or the window where you see the files, then click tools and follow the directions.
    Hi 129260, no I don't have Vista, only WinXP SP2, IE 6, and, well...if you still have a little patience left, I guess I better grab it!!!

So to make sure, should I delete completely and wherever I have the spybotsd160.exe (I have the 2 icons in the desktop and also once in the Control Panel). I wonder if it also could be somelwhere else? Okay, I'll delete ALL of them andhopefully there aren't any more hidden somewhere....

Then I'll go to "start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot"? Not to the neat link you gave me here: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd160.exe ?

And should I try as many times as needed until it opens normally? Okay, I shall. Thanks so much again! Adela

Lightbulb control panel?

there should not be a icon in the control panel...spybot does not do that....weird....whats the name of the icon in control panel?

Also why are out of date? You do not have service pack 3 for xp....or internet explorer 7....have you gone to Microsoft update recently? service pack 3 has been out for awhile now.... See here: www.update.microsoft.com Install all updates available.

Also are you sure you are not infected? You might need to visit the malware removal forums, as your computer seems to be acting very weird. Unless i am just not understanding what you are explaining correctly. We can look into this later if you keep having difficulties.

I'm also sorry but am very confused with your statements. Can you go to control panel-add/remove programs and remove spybot? Then restart the computer and download and install spybot from the link i provided earlier? After installing, simply delete the installer file after the installation is completed. Then you will see a icon called spybot search and destroy. Open that and that will launch the spybot program. Have you ever installed a program before, or are you completely new to this? Installing another program is just like installing spybot. You open the installer file and install it. Then you delete it after it installs the program. I hope this does not offend you but i want to be able to help you in a way that you can understand. I can give you some links that might help you learn more about security and programs, etc.

I hope you take this reply in the way i intended it. I would like to help you, but i am getting very lost with what is going on....
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-11-07 at 04:54.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    Also why are out of date? You do not have service pack 3 for xp....or internet explorer 7....have you gone to Microsoft update recently? service pack 3 has been out for awhile now.... See here: www.update.microsoft.com Install all updates available.

Also are you sure you are not infected? You might need to visit the malware removal forums, as your computer seems to be acting very weird. Unless i am just not understanding what you are explaining correctly. We can look into this later if you keep having difficulties.
    Don't mind me if I say this but upgrading has little to do with the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 129260
    I'm also sorry but am very confused with your statements.
    Same here. Adela, do you mean that there are two Spybot-Search&Destroy entries in the Add/Remove Programs window (via Control Panel)?

I had to re-read the entire thread to get a clearer understanding of what you want. Starting with post one, you seem to have clicked the installer file for Spybot-Search&Destroy, thus you are seeing the step by step processes. Have you ever installed Spybot in the past?

Thing is that you keep clicking on the installer file "spybotsd160.exe". The .exe ending will tell you that it is the installer.

In post #10, you said that you'll start from scratch and attempt to reinstall Spybot. During that time, was Spybot completely uninstalled?

Also, are you attempting to remove all of Spybot's files and start anew?