Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem opening Spybot SD scanning

Hi again 129260 and I'm sorry I'm confusing you, I know it's my lack of knowledge of terminology and other tech things, and I'm not offended by your kind interest in helping, on the contrary I'm very grateful!
    there should not be a icon in the control panel...spybot does not do that....weird....whats the name of the icon in control panel?
    I didn't mean to say I had a spybotsd icon in my control panel - I meant it's listed there, plus 2 icons in the desktop. I deleted all 3 of them!
    Also why are out of date? You do not have service pack 3 for xp....or internet explorer 7....have you gone to Microsoft update recently? service pack 3 has been out for awhile now.... See here: www.update.microsoft.com Install all updates available.
    SP3 updating is waiting for me in my taskbar, but it says to save everything first, so I'll finish fixing this matter before, and then I'll save everything and update it. As to the IE7 I know many people having problems with it and I dont' need MORE puter problems. I'm ok with IE6.
    Also are you sure you are not infected? You might need to visit the malware removal forums, as your computer seems to be acting very weird. Unless i am just not understanding what you are explaining correctly. We can look into this later if you keep having difficulties.
    I could, but doubt it since I'm very careful scanning frequently both spybotsd and ad-aware, along with deleting all temp files and other maintenance.
    Can you go to control panel-add/remove programs and remove spybot? Then restart the computer and download and install spybot from the link i provided earlier? After installing, simply delete the installer file after the installation is completed. Then you will see a icon called spybot search and destroy. Open that and that will launch the spybot program.
    I did remove spybotsd from the control panel, but, I may not have restarted before reinstalling. I will do it again, and make sure to restart before reinstalling, as well as deleting the installer file after completing the installation, which I never knew I had to do.
    Have you ever installed a program before, or are you completely new to this? Installing another program is just like installing spybot.
    While I'm not good with computer tech, I did install several programs before but never deleted the installer, so I shall certainly do this from now on.

I'll follow the steps you gave me now and will try it, this time, the right way. Thanks a lot again! Adela

Also hello and thanks to drragostea I'm so awfully sorry you had to re-read the thread from the start! I think the answers above apply to your questions. As to this: "Also, are you attempting to remove all of Spybot's files and start anew?", yes, I was trying to delete the entire spybotsd and start from scratch which I did, but possibly it didn't work since I didn't know I had to delete the icon after installed and also restart before reinstalling.

Again, thank you both a lot! I feel I'm now much better equipped to try it again and will report the good news. Adela

Super.
    I'm sure Spybot-Search&Destroy will install successfully, with no problems.

Take care, Adela.

Thumbs up Great!

I'm glad to know everything is resolved. Let us know if you have any future problems, and thanks for your patience and for answering all my questions!

By the way, I am fine with internet explorer 7. I just never use it , i use mozzila firefox. It is another internet browser that is very safe and secure. Anyways, service pack 3 is a great update to do, but when you go to install it make sure all your protection programs are off during the install. Such as antivirus, teatimer (if you have it enabled) in spybot, and any other software thats currently running. Turn off does does not mean uninstall, just make sure its not running next to the clock. Right click the programs that are there and exit or close or turn off them. Then install service pack 3 Hope that helps, and I'm glad everything is well.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-11-09 at 02:43.

Hi again drragostea and 1229260, I'm sorry everything is not resolved. I encountered an obstacle on trying to delete ALL in order to start from scratch. I'm sorry to take more time from you, but please feel free not to reply as I do understand:

1. I deleted the spybotsd.exe icon from the desktop fine; but...

2. The 2nd icon on the desktop (a yellow folder) said when I tried to delete: "Are you sure you want to remove the folder Spybot - Search & Destroy and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?"
    (The contents look like system files), so...I didn't. Is this to be left in then? And finally...

3. I went to Add/Remove to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy, but it gave a long message:
    If you just want to undo changes you've made with Spybot - Search & Destroy do not uninstall it right now. Spybot - Search & Destroy has created backups to allow you to undo new changes it has made. Start Spybot - Search & Destroy and use the Recovery Section.
    Also you may try to undo any protections you have applied in the Immune Section.
    Are you really sure you want to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy completely and all its components instead of trying the Undo functions first?
    It seems easier for me to delete ALL rather than play with changes, so I clicked again on "Remove" but it doesn't get removed and the large msg reappears. Though it talks about changes, the word "Change" does not appear next to "Remove" - only "Remove".

Has anyone experienced any of this? Adela

P.S. Thanks SO much 129260 for advising to turn off (or disable?) all my protection programs in spybotsd and others, before installing the SP3 update. I didn't know it, I guess that's how one gets problems...as I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    1. I deleted the spybotsd.exe icon from the desktop fine; but...

2. The 2nd icon on the desktop (a yellow folder) said when I tried to delete: "Are you sure you want to remove the folder Spybot - Search & Destroy and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?"
    (The contents look like system files), so...I didn't. Is this to be left in then? And finally...

3. I went to Add/Remove to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy, but it gave a long message:

It seems easier for me to delete ALL rather than play with changes, so I clicked again on "Remove" but it doesn't get removed and the large msg reappears. Though it talks about changes, the word "Change" does not appear next to "Remove" - only "Remove".
    There's no need to apologize.
    1. But? The Spybot-SD installer (spybotsd160.exe) will install Spybot itself.

2. Yes, Folders are Yellow . Your goal is to remove all of Spybot's contents and traces, thus that will require the removal of the folders too that the message prompted you about.

3. What that message means is that, some people tend to think that uninstalling Spybot will undo what it has done, but they are not quite there. So it's saying that if you wish to undo the changes that Spybot made (removal of an item; Quarantine), go to the Program and do it.

You can safely uninstall Spybot-Search&Destroy and start from scratch.

I did it drragostea!!! I deleted entire spybotsd, restarted, and used the link 129260 had given me earlier, and I see the installer icon sitting pretty on my desktop.

But, I didn't delete it yet, as I don't see a second icon that usually appears on the desktop, to click on for scanning? Also, I checked the add/remove and don't see it listed there...I wonder what I did wrong this time?

Thank you for explaining so well all those odd things I came across. Next time I install some programs I'll know better what to do. Adela

Adela, I'm not entirely sure of what you are having problems with.

I don't understand what you mean by a "second icon" on the desktop.

Spybot-SD icon in the taskbar? Desktop? The Desktop icon should read "Spybot - Search & Destroy".

Spybot (installer/wizard) should have installed a desktop icon too (unless you mistakenly unticked it ).

Remember, the desktop icon is "Spybot - Search & Destroy".
    The installer is "spybotsd160".

Ohh drragostea please forgive my stupidity! It is perfect now, just as you explained so many times it should be! I thought the link that 129260 had given me was going to do the entire "package" and so I neglected to run it. When I read your post here, it immediately came as a flash to me, I hastened to do it and now everything fell into place.

Again I'm embarrased and so sorry to have taken this much time from all of you great techis. My deepest thanks to all! You are an drragostea, and all who helped too! :^) Adela

P.S. I'm afraid I might've broken this forum too, since after clicking many times on "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" neither worked. I'll try later again...

Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    Ohh drragostea please forgive my stupidity! It is perfect now, just as you explained so many times it should be! I thought the link that 129260 had given me was going to do the entire "package" and so I neglected to run it. When I read your post here, it immediately came as a flash to me, I hastened to do it and now everything fell into place.

Again I'm embarrased and so sorry to have taken this much time from all of you great techis. My deepest thanks to all! You are an drragostea, and all who helped too! :^) Adela

P.S. I'm afraid I might've broken this forum too, since after clicking many times on "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" neither worked. I'll try later again...
    haha i am glad everything is worked out adela. And no you did not break the forum, i did. haha just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    There's no need to apologize.
    ^ ^, Like I said before. And there's only one Spybot-Search&Destroy, and it does not come in a package.

You won't break the forum by clicking the 'Submit Reply' too much, .

And thanks 129260 (), for the links and the other information.

129260 and I make a great team .