Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bad checksum!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by littlebity View Post
    I am getting the same error. Just tried updating now...Thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know that I uodated everything and then went back and hit download again and it worked. Sorry to bother you ....Thanks

Hello again drragostea, I am running 1.6.0.30 and yes the program does open. Now that I recall, I disabled KIS 7 and S B started the downloads but while I was watching my packet sniffer, I started getting bombarded on 135 and several DCERPCs so I re-enabled KIS then SB stopped downloading and threw the "Bad checksum" at me again. I searched through Kasper's forum and found a post a few months old and a couple of the pros on there advised the poster not to run T Timer (which I knew already) and not to immunize. That I didn't know. Why they suggest to not immunize, I do not know. I am going to re open the thread and ask what the issue is and what the "from experience with it" is. I pasted a few snippets from the thread below. I also agree that Kasper should not be able to close S B and then it reload. ????? I do not have auto immunize enabled either. Thank you for the help and your patience, I'll post back with any findings, ENIAC

Q: Just a quick question - is Spy Bot Search & Destroy compatable with KIS 7.0.1.321 ?

A: officially no.
    but you should be able to run the on demand scanner without issues (so no tea timer, imunization and all that stuff)

Q: blah blah blah

A: You can certanly use Spybot just the advice is to disable tea timer & imunization..................from experience with it.

Default Bad Checksums

I've been thinking, again. Not a good idea.

Why should we sort-of-average users have to think about whether we're downloading stuff from Asia, or Europe, or USA? Generally, we just push a button and have things happen - or in some cases not happen.

From the things I do, I would say that the system is too complicated, if the team can do such things as announce an update before it's actually ready. It calls for a greater degree of automation, or simplicity, or something.

By the way, I got the Bad Checksum today, but only on one workstation. That's what I call progress.

The others were flawless, but one bombed entirely. It's been my experience that if one update get a Bad Checksum, they all do. So I often select just one at a time for downloading. It seems to help.

My blather will end with the final note that a fully designed, completed product would not put this kind of burden on the user.

Hmmm...

Well, there is one reason why the user should choose between mirrors, but its indeed not a usability reason
    Spybot-S&D is free for personal use, and most update mirrors are donated by volunteers, so they at least want their name recognized when their server is used.

The 2.0 updater is not mentioned in the bigtracker yet, but if you follow the 2.0 blog, you'll notice that we do currently spend al ot of time thinking about usability. Next weekends blog post is already have done, but I might blog about the updating stuff in 2.0 the week after. While we were always fans of giving the user total control over what gets downloaded from where (the ideal from the privacy standpoint imho), we have "sadly" acknowledged that many many users don't want to care about that, so we have planed a "regular" background download of updates without user interactions required at all (with manual updates still available in some way, e.g. necessary when running from a boot CD).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Where did you get the Q&A from ENIAC?
    You'll want to read this first:
    http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31
    -

drragostea, I got the Q&A from Kaspersky's forum.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...ot+S&D

When I went back to get the link for you, I found another one concerning SB.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...ot+S&D

The third poster in that one was bad mouthing SB but I just discounted his opinion as I have never have had any conflicts with KIS and SB. I do however leave Tea Timer disabled so as not to create conflict. The link you posted now has totally confused me. All of the rants and raves have Kaspersky on top as far as effectiveness and I have had no problems with it yet (unless not being able to update SB is a conflict). I occasionally run Shields Up and the Symantec Security Check and pass with an A+. In fact, Shields UP informs me that Windows is not normally that stealth and secure. I also run SB, MS Malware Removal Tool (Downloaded version), Rootkit Revealer and occasionally shut down KIS and run Windows Defender as a second opinion. Now, after reading the blog you posted the link to concerning Kaspersky, my little security bubble is starting to deflate. I know, I can go into a state of denial, right? LOL I used to have SRH (Symantec Resource Hog) but dumped it for Kaspersky and it nailed several critters that Symantec missed. Of course, all are different in their ways and I'm sure that some other engine would probably find stuff that Kaspersky missed. OK, back to denial. I guess I had better do some research here. Right now I am under the impression that the two will get along fine as long as I leave Tea Timer disabled and do no more immunizations.

It sounds to me that people who have not even tried Spybot are making judgements based on what they hear, not what they see. I feel that is just stupid. PepiMK wrote in his blog that when Symantec first started uninstalling products from Norton user computers due to "incompatibilities", McAfee and Kaspersky later followed [the theme: Hey, if they can do it and no body's complaining, we can too].

Really... stupid.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...pic=86138&st=0
    http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31
    Quote Originally Posted by ENIAC 2 View Post
    Right now I am under the impression that the two will get along fine as long as I leave Tea Timer disabled and do no more immunizations.
    Er... IMHO I really don't see how the Resident Shields may conflict (well KAS might have a similar feature, but I don't see any conflicts until something happens, like a system slowdown). And Kaspersky does not offer a HOSTS protection.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-11-15 at 06:20.

Kind of rediculous. To the point of saying screw it, I'll get a different anti spyware app. Been almost 2 months now and I STLL get the same bad checksum error from EVERY server. I haven't been able to update the advanced detection library since 10/22/08 despite claims here of it being fixed. The program is pretty much useless if it's months out of date. I can update everything except the advanced detection library just fine, but I've been getting the supposedly long since fixed bad checksum error every time I try it for weeks upon weeks now.
    If it matters I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1, in the US, on high speed broadband. Connection issues aren't a problem. The problem is with the program updater or the update itself. Getting old.

bullfrog, what version of Spybot-SD are you using (Help>About)? You've tried every mirror update server?

Sorry, meant to include that in the first post. 1.6.0.30
    And yes. All of the servers come back with a failed checksum.