Thread: Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer - Dangerous?

Default Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer - Dangerous?

Dear Spybot Forum,

Can somebody please explain if the 'red item' found in Spybot (at end of this post) is dangerous?

And if so, what action would you recommend?

I use Firefox 3.0.3 for web browsing and only ever use Internet Explorer when I have to do the monthly Micro$oft Window$ update.

Is this just another one of Spybot's friendly warnings similar to Microsoft Window$ Security Centre.Antivirus Override? ("This entry only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" has disabled one or more notifications in the Windows security center.")

On my system I instructed my virus scanner Avast Pro to disable this advisory in Windows Security Centre so that's fine.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your response!

Simon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Red item found in Spybot today:

Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: [SBI $A3433CBF] Settings (Registry change, nothing done) HKEY_USERS\PE_C_SIMON\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe

Company:
    Product: Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer
    Threat: Security

Functionality
    security settings for the Internet Explorer

Description
    Security settings for the Internet Explorer can be changed by malware.
    Some of the settings can also be changed by security software. In case you have additional security softwre installed, make sure that it is working properly.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybotuserr:

Starting with Windows XP Service Pack 2, the default setting for the following registry entry is "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN]
    "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001
    The following Spybot detection is caused by that registry value not being set to dword:00000001:

Code:
    Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: [SBI $366713D4] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe
    The bottom line is, if you did not intentionally change the default for some reason such as in the following Microsoft article, I suggest that fix the problem base on the fact that Microsoft change the default value of that registry entry starting with Windows XP Service Pack 2 for security reasons:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.