Thread: Can someone explain what the Immuniser does please?

Question Can someone explain what the Immuniser does please?

I am new to Spybot & I would just like to know what the immuniser actually does. I am running Vista & would like to know just exactly how it is set up. I.E. what checks I click etc. Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Davebot17:

The immunization process adds entries to the system registry and/or specific browser files to either restrict what certain sites (domains) you are accessing through your browser are allowed to do or blocks access to the certain sites (domains) entirely.

The items listed under "Internet Explorer (32 bit) " and "Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) " add entries to the system registry.
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" block the storing of cookies from certain sites.
    • Items listed as "... (Domains)" and "... (IPs)" add sites to the restricted sites zone.
      • "... (Domains)" are added to the restricted sites zone by domain name.
      • "... (IPs)" are added to the restricted sites zone by IP Address.
      Adding sites to the restricted zone blocks their ability to store cookies, download ActiveX processes as well as placing other restrictions on those sites depending on your settings for restricted zone sites within Internet Explorer.
    • Items listed as "... (Plugins)" block the download/execution of specific ActiveX processes.

The items listed under Mozilla products such as "Firefox" add entries to Mozilla's hostperm.1 file (or in latest releases to the cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite files).
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" prohibit sites from storing cookies.
    • Items listed as "... (Images)" prohibit sites from displaying images.
    • Items listed as "... (Installations)" prohibit sites from initiating extensions installations.
    • Items listed as "... (Popups)" prohibit sites from opening popup windows.

The item listed under "System" adds entries to the system's HOSTS file.
    • Item listed as "Global (Hosts)" adds entries to the system HOSTS file, equating site names (domain names) to the localhost (your system), affectively blocking access to those sites.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

A basic summary would be:

The Spybot immunisation feature provides protection against potential infections - and has the same meaning as a medical immunisation against a disease. It prevents a possible future infection by preparing your computer to resist invasion by specific malicious software. It does this by adding registry and Hosts file entries that block the installation of specific spyware software.

Spybot restricts the allowed actions of specific Domains, IP addresses and Cookies within most common Internet browsers to prevent malicious behaviour such as running hidden scripts. Spybot does this by updating the security sections already built in to most browsers with the latest lists of malicious sites. It also adds entries to The Hosts file that prevent any access to certain web addresses - so preventing any possible downloads from those sites either directly or by attacking software.

For the official response see here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

OK, thanks for that. I also have SUPERAntiSpy (freeware version) that I use as an 'On Demand' scanner.

I have two questions:

1/ Will the immunisation process affect anything SUPERAntiSpy does?

2/ To Immunise, do I just press the Immunise button & it will be immunised?

Thanks for your replies.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Davebot17:

Quote Originally Posted by Davebot17 View Post
    1/ Will the immunisation process affect anything SUPERAntiSpy does?
    Assuming that you are talking abount SUPERAntiSpyware not SUPERAntiSpy, no. Spybot's immunization does not affect SUPERAntiSpyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Davebot17 View Post
    2/ To Immunise, do I just press the Immunise button & it will be immunised?
    Yes, the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane (the button with large green plus sign). Note: You should re-immunize after each update.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

OK thanks.