Thread: 1.6.0 slowdown

Default 1.6.0 slowdown

Can anyone explain why trying to update from 1.5.2 to 1.6.0 slows down my computer? After restarting post-installation, accessing folders through Windows XP on my hard drive brings a frozen window with no visible files and a few seconds of pause before they finally appear. This happens with every folder I click on. I've had to use System Restore to change back whatever it is Spybot does to my system.

This is a pain considering I can't get new definitions unless I change my version number.

EDIT: I think some remnants of AVG are present on my machine; it's not something to do with that is it? Is there any particular 'anti-AVG' code in 1.6?
    Last edited by AdamM; 2008-11-07 at 16:25.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

AdamM:

How many IE cookies do you have?

Did you download the following update after installing Spybot 1.6?
    • IE Plugin update 1.6.1 - !SDHelper update (794 KB) - 2008-09-24

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Um... 3,808 apparently. Not a problem I hope? It helps me not having to remember the passwords for all those forums I'm registered for.

Alright, I'll reinstall 1.6 and download that update like you say, but I hope you understand this is Explorer I'm talking about, not IE.

Lightbulb

The SD helper Cookie Bug affects both IE and Windows Explorer. The Early versions of AVG 8 didn't like Spybot but those problems have since been fixed.

Other fixes to try:

Disable the Java SSV Helper BHO.
    Uninstall the Google Toolbar if you have it.
    Change or reinstall your Firewall.
    Upgrade to IE 7 or other browser if you havn't already.
    Run Windows Disk Clean up or ATF/CCleaner if you have them.
    Make sure all your Security programs and Operating System(s) are up to date.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

AdamM:

I understand. If you read the following thread you will see that a massive amount of cookies was the cause of a problem in both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer:

In fact DougCuk who discovered the connection between the number of cookies and the slowdown only had a problem with Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Interesting. Disabling SDHelper in IE's Manage Add-ons menu does indeed correct the slowdown.

I'm also assuming this update you want me to download fixes the bug? Unfortunately I can't download it because the update manager is giving me "Error retrieving update info file". I'm on a university connection so presumably I'm behind a proxy, but I have no idea what it is (IE is set to 'automatically detect settings'). I'll try and find out.

Strangely I think I was able to download updates with 1.5.2 across this connection...
    Last edited by AdamM; 2008-11-07 at 17:24.

AdamM:

To see what proxy settings are being used by Internet Explorer, go into Internet Explorer » Tools » Internet Options. In the Internet Options dialog, click the Connections tab. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Setting section, click LAN Setting. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Setting dialog the proxy settings should be displayed near the bottom.

Go into Spybot » (Mode » Advanced mode) » Settings » Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". In the Proxy settings dialog, enter the required information.

I told you, IE is set to 'automatically detect settings'.