Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Immunization dont work

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post

Hopefully this will fix the problems.

I suspect the number 20 that appears through the immunisation entries is new entries that had not yet been immunised when the screen shots were taken.
    Bulleyes !!!!!!!

Everything is ok now

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni69 View Post
    Hi,

I have the same issue described by Piranha.

Before upgrading from 1.5x to 1.6.0.31, the PC had 160,000 threads fully recognized and immunized.
    Now it shows about 240,000 threads and 30,000 not immunized.

My PC runs under Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ Mozilla 2.0.18 and IE 6.0.

Since I have no Guest accounts but Administrator accounts only , which is the suggested procedure to try a fix?

http://imageshare.web.id/images/nf5yivz3vfdt4p2blfy.jpg

Thanks,
    Giovanni69
    In the Immunization, you got 12 Firefox entries. I have only 4.
    Is this maybe because you have not uninstalled earlier versions of Firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    In the Immunization, you got 12 Firefox entries. I have only 4.
    Is this maybe because you have not uninstalled earlier versions of Firefox?
    Lancelot,

No, they are like they are because giovanni69 has 3 accounts.

giovanni69,

If you want to stay with Firefox 2.0.18 then you need to look at the profile for every account and determine which ones have hostperm.1 and which ones have permissions.sqlite, then follow the procedure I suggested to piranha. If they all have a hostperm.1 file, make sure spybot is not running then open the Firefox browser from each account in turn and prime its hostperm.1 file by adding a cookie as detailed in my previous post. When that has been done for each account, then do the immunisation from an account that has administrator rights.

Please post back and let us know what happens.
    Thanks for the reply but I dunno anything about hostperm.1 procedure.
    What I have to check please and where/how?

Giovanni

Smile

giovanni69,

Please post back with the following information.

1. What version of Firefox do you currently have installed. (open firefox, then click on Help, then About Mozilla Firefox). If you have changed from the version you were using when you made the screen shot in your earlier post, please post another screen shot with the current version, then don't change that until the problem is resolved.

2. With all browsers closed, click on Start, Click on Search, in the "All or part of the filename:" box type in Hostperm.1

In the "Look in:" box use the pull down to select "Local Disk (C
    Under More advanced options tick the boxes for "Search system Folders", also the box for "Search hidden files and folders" and also the box for "Search subfolders"

Now click on search. Let it run until the search has completed, then copy accurately the full path shown for every Hostperm.1 shown. A typical path would be C:\Documents and Settings\giovanni\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ly4nqznc.default

3. Repeat 2 above but using the filename permissions.sqlite

4. Post the above information. Please do not block out or change the user names (where "giovanni is shown in the typical path above). Post the exact path details as otherwise it will be difficult if not impractical to provide you with the next steps

5. Please post exactly how many different log on accounts are being used at present, and whether there have been any other accounts in use.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-12-17 at 01:28.

Grefox,

Thanks for your procedure.
    Meanwhile I upgraded from 2.019; I'm using Mozilla 3.05 now but the issues are exactly the same.
    Attached are information you requested:

Spybot 1.60.30 status:

Hotsperm.1 files are 2 in Administrator and 2 in Giovanni pathes:

Permissions.sqlite only in Documents and settings\Giovanni\...

Giovanni
    Last edited by giovanni69; 2008-12-17 at 20:15.

...but the issues are exactly the same.
    Unfortunately that is not quite the case, and BTW, despite my earlier ask that you provide the exact paths, you appear to have played with the screen print showing these. That, on top of the screen shot not being clear enough on my monitor to be sure of some of the characters in the paths, means you will have to interpret the information that follows.

As I see it, you have three browsers, Internet Explorer, Firefox and what I believe may be SeaMonkey. As Internet Explorer is immunising OK, let's forget that one.

For each of the other two browsers there should be 4 immunisation items (1 for Cookies, 1 for images, 1 for Installations and 1 for Popups) for each account that the particular browser is used under.

You have two accounts using SeaMonkey, Administrator and Giovani, so there should be 8 immunisation items, and there are, and they are immunising OK. I don't use SeaMonkey so I can't be definite about this but it appears to use Hostperm.1 and so the two Hostperm.1 files for SeaMonkey are I believe at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Dati applicazioni\Mozilla\Profiles\ notte?\cuu2nyn8.slt

and

C:\Documents and Settings\ giovanni \Dati applicazioni\Mozilla\Profiles\default\plv5m1uq.slt

Now we come to Firefox.

Version 3 by default uses permissions.sqlite, not Hostperm.1, but it will apparently work with Hostperm.1 (with the caution that this may not continue to be so in the future).

At the moment there are three sets of 4 immunisation items for Firefox, suggesting three accounts, and this also applied before you did the update to version 3.

However there are only two Profile paths for Firefox.

One at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Dati applicazioni\Mozilla\Firefox]Profiles\qdsei8dp.default (Hostperm.1)

and one at:

C:\Documents and Settings\ giovanni \Dati applicazioni\Mozilla\Firefox]Profiles\nzw55hyq.default

Note that this latter one contains both a Hostperm.1 presumably from the original V2 installation) and a Permissions.sqlite now from the V3 installation.

Ideally (and with Spybot and all the browsers shut down) you should delete both the Hostperm.1 and permissions.sqlite in this last path, then open the firefox browser using the giovani account. Goto Tools/Options then open the Privacy Tab. In the cookie area click on the exceptions button, then add a site. It's not important what that site is, so for example you could use www.google.com and give it "allow" status. Click on close, OK, then exit Firefox. This will have created a permissions.sqlite file for the giovani account and importantly will also have primed it. You must not restart Spybot until the file has been primed as above.

If you are really going to use Firefox from the main Administrator account, then you need to do exactly the same thing there, i.e. delete the Hostperm.1 file and then regenerate and prime a permissions.sqlite file. Going on line from the main administration account is not safe practice in my opinion.

Now start Spybot. Go to the immunise screen and first undo all immunisations. This may take some time to complete as removal of immunisations from Firefox is fairly slow - be patient. Once the undo has completed, re-immunise. This should be somewhat faster.

OK now we are still left with a problem. What are the extra set of immunisation items for. Spybot thinks there are three accounts using Firefox, but there are only currently two. Was there originally another user, and is Spybot picking up on some old entries from a previous user or installation.

The only way I can see of homing in on this would be to completely uninstall Firefox, and clean out any orphaned references relating to this product. Make sure before you uninstall it you undo the immunisations for Firefox. After the cleanup there should be no Firefox items left on the immunisation screen in Spybot. When you get to that point a new install of Firefox 3 should see the problem solved. It's up to you whether you want to spend the time to do this.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately that is not quite the case, and BTW, despite my earlier ask that you provide the exact paths, you appear to have played with the screen print showing these. That, on top of the screen shot not being clear enough on my monitor to be sure of some of the characters in the paths, means you will have to interpret the information that follows.

As I see it, you have three browsers, Internet Explorer, Firefox and what I believe may be SeaMonkey. As Internet Explorer is immunising OK, let's forget that one.
    Greyfox,

I have reproduced carefully the names coherently and they are actually; so it's not important whether I changed the name 'light' into 'notte' as long as I used always 'notte' where there is 'light'.

Also I do not use SeaMonkey at all; what I have is Netscape that's still installed and never gave me an issue when immunizing with Spybot in the past: all of the signatures where fully applied.

About the details of the paths that you could not read on your screen, I do not remember which is the site that allows me to publish the (large) attachments fully on screen directly on this forum for better resolution, as I did on my first post... Any idea, please? thank you.

Giovanni
    Last edited by giovanni69; 2008-12-18 at 15:20.

Any idea, please?
    I usually try to crop or my screen shots in photoshop so there is maximum viewing of the relative point, then either save them as .jpg or .gif to reduce the file size. I then attach them directly to the post in the forum.

Others may have a better way.

I could only take a guess from the rather blurred icon in the screen print and the path reference. Arguably my eyesight is not what it used to be, and my guess was Seamonkey, but obviously that wasn't correct. That said, if you replace the word Seamonkey with Netscape in my previous post, it doesn't materially affect the gist of it.

with last update (january 7) i now had again some immunization that dont work