Thread: Upgrade to 1.6 & Win 2K

Default Upgrade to 1.6 & Win 2K

Hi All,

I have previously had no problems with S&D, however I recently allowed S&D to upgrade to v1.6 from v1.5. (did I have a choice?).

The upgrade trashed all the user accounts, desktops settings, shortcuts, E mail accounts etc.

The Administrator account was unaffected. I put this down to an error on my part (?) and set about setting it all up again using the backups.

I subsequently allowed S&D to upgrade itself on another Win 2k machine with the same result.

Any comments or advice, other than upgrade to Vista or give up computers. Have I got to repeat the process on this machine? .

Cheers Steve T

Did you try to access those other user accounts after a reboot (vs. just logging off and logging on again on another user account)?

When updating, other users profiles (registry hives) might indeed be locked, but that lock should be gone after a reboot.

There are a few cases where the lock persists after a reboot, but we have not yet determined what exactly is the reason there, because that behaviour does not match MS's documentation an those issues and all I can suspect currently is a compatibility issue with something else.

1.6.1 scans other profiles without locking them btw, so the problem will not exist there.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Will not update Immunisations

Spybot leaves 786 immunisations open in the Hosts list as of 11/09/08. I have tried disabling Resident/Teatimer and IE Tweaks, then adding the Spybot Hosts list. This still leaves 786 Host unprotected.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

fixrman:

Are you running any other anti-malware software that could possibly be trying to protect the HOSTS file and preventing Spybot from fully immunizing it?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the replies,

The user accounts remain as per windows 'default' user after a reboot.

There is no other anti-malware on the latest machine that has been affected.

Further inspection indicates extra 'new' users have been added to the Documents & Settings folder, I deleted the 'new' users accounts, using the Administrator login, after a reboot and a normal user login, I'm back where I started.

Sorry by the way what's 'btw' mean?

Thanks,
    SteveT

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

TopCatToo (Steve):

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatToo View Post
    ... Sorry by the way what's 'btw' mean?.
    "BTW" is usually an IM (Instant Messaging) acronym that means "By The Way" (incidentally).

One of many IM Acronym Dictionaries:

In other words you could have said:

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatToo View Post
    ... Sorry BTW what's 'btw' mean?.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-11-10 at 21:32.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.