Access violation error message
I'm new to to this, so not sure if thisis the correct forum, so please advise if I need to register this problem elsewhwere.
I've had a problem with V1.5.2 for a little while in that when I tried to run spybot it stopped after a few seconds (between 2 and 6) and the following error message popped up:
"Access violation at address OOFFFADC. Read of address OOFFFADC"
Today I removed V1.5.2 from my system and downloaded V1.6, but get the same problem. Has anyone else experienced tis one?
My operating system is Windows 98SE
1. Similar errors at various points during the scan have been reported on numerous occasions by people running old Windows systems.
The error seems to be transient in nature and other people seem to have been able to overcome the error by limiting the system resources used by other processes in the system.
In other words, run as little as possible while running the Spybot scan.
Further you can set your virtual memory higher.
Therefore rightclick My Computer on the desktop.
Choose Properties->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Advanced->Virtual Memory->Change.
Please do also have a look at this link:
If you only get this error(Text exceeds memo capacity) in older Windows systems while trying to open the "Resident" then please try to rename your "Resident.log" file, e.g. "Resident.old". This error could occur if the log file is growing too big for old Windows operating systems. You can find the file in:
* Windows 95 or 98: C:\\Windows\\Application Data\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\
* Windows ME: C:\\Windows\\All Users\\Application Data\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\
* Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\
Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties: http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
2. Please delete also your temporary files.
Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:
* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Click the "Delete Cookies" button
* Next to it, Click the "Delete Files" button
* When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content",
Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have
* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
* Click the Clear button located to the right of each option
(History, Cookies, Cache).
* Click OK to close the Options window
Alternatively, you can clear all information stored while browsing
by clicking Clear All.
A confirmation dialog box will be shown before clearing the
Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin
* Go to start > run and type: *cleanmgr* and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle
Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.
3. It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking" and "tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore.