Thread: Vista Install Hell: "Error retrieving update info file!"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Vista Install Hell: "Error retrieving update info file!"

I tried posting this in the SBSD Bugs thread but i lacked permissions.

I downloaded SBSD because Vista's Firewall alerted me to some spyware that i got ( Spyware.RemoteSpy[B-Type] ), apparently, just by going to a web site - not clicking on anything on that site; merely going there with Firefox 2.x. The options are a ghosted "keep blocking" or "Protect" (or you can X-out the
    window). Selecting "Protect" fires up a browser that takes one to a microsoft anti-malware page:

Edit: Not Microsoft, site pushes a rogue.
    http: // www. defender-review.com/index.php?a=111

I suspect a come-on, but it's still wedged into my system.

Upon my initial SBS&D install this is what happened:

I deselected skins and languages. All other defaults are left as-is.
    Early in the install, the window title became "File Download" (Setup is now downloading additional files to your computer.)
    File: updallocator.php (1 of 1)
    Connecting to 89.238.64.39

Then an error window pops up saying:
    Error sending request
    A connection with the server could not be established.

Retry never works. My connection to the net still works. So i am forced to choose cancel. Spybot says

Ready to Install. So i click install. Then an error window pops up saying:

Error sending request

In the desperate hopes of stopping this spyware infection i navigate back in the installer and under

"Select Components" i deselect "Download updates immediately" (hoping that the SBSD binary package already has what it needs to kill some spyware). I leave all 4 of the options in their default state and click "Finish".

A DOSbox window briefly pops up - small font and the only word i catch fleetingly is "invalid". I've seen this during most if not all XP installations.

I get to step 5 of 7 in the Wizard "Search for updates" and just as in the first install i keep getting an error window saying
    "Error retrieving update info file!". No hint as to what *kind* of error. My net connection still works fine.

I was not able to Immunize this time for some reason.

I go to Search & Destroy and get Yet Another Error Window that reads: You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater. OK...
    (different looking window though - the one with the S&D longo instead of the generic error window).

So i Click on "Update" and I get the "Error retrieving update info file!"

Round and round, but no joy. I decide to uninstall and try again.
    I got this error message when trying to Uninstall SBS&D (Ran as administrator too):

Service "SBSD Security Center Service" failed to uninstall with error: "System Error. Code: 1060.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

Then TeaTimer came in asking me what to do next. Ugh.
    I let it make the changes (althought the language used is terribly *vague* as to which choice is really which), then i rebooted.

SBS&D was no longer on mys Vista Home Pro system. Hooray. Time to try again:

-----------------------
    Install attempt #2:
    =======================

So i ran the installer again - this time using "Run As Administrator".

Early in the install, the window title became "File Download" (Setup is now downloading additional files

to your computer.)
    File: updallocator.php (1 of 1)
    Connecting to 89.238.64.39

Then an error window pops up saying:
    Error sending request

Retry never works. My connection to the net still works. So i am forced to choose cancel. Spybot says

Ready to Install. So i click install. Then an error window pops up saying:

Error sending request

So in the desperate hopes of stopping this spyware infection i navigate back in the installer and under

"Select Components" i deselect "Download updates immediately" (hoping that the SBSD binary package already has what it needs to kill some spyware). I leave all 4 of the options in their default state and click "Finish".

Again a DOSbox window pops up - this time the font appears larger (!) and it lasts longer but i get no "invalid" error in it.

I get to step 5 of 7 in the Wizard "Search for updates" and just as in the first install i keep getting an error window saying "Error retrieving update info file!". No hint as to what *kind* of error.

I was able to Immunize this time (but not having and up to date definitions leave me feeling vulnerable).

I go to Search & Destroy and get Yet Another Error Window that reads:
    You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater. I click [ OK ] ...
    (different looking window though - the one with the S&D logo instead of the generic error window).

So i Click on Update and once again, i get the "Error retrieving update info file!"

Argh. Now what?
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-11-10 at 19:05. Reason: Disabled link to rogue