Thread: Vista Install Hell: "Error retrieving update info file!"

Exclamation Vista Install Hell: "Error retrieving update info file!"

I tried posting this in the SBSD Bugs thread but i lacked permissions.

I downloaded SBSD because Vista's Firewall alerted me to some spyware that i got ( Spyware.RemoteSpy[B-Type] ), apparently, just by going to a web site - not clicking on anything on that site; merely going there with Firefox 2.x. The options are a ghosted "keep blocking" or "Protect" (or you can X-out the
    window). Selecting "Protect" fires up a browser that takes one to a microsoft anti-malware page:

Edit: Not Microsoft, site pushes a rogue.
    http: // www. defender-review.com/index.php?a=111

I suspect a come-on, but it's still wedged into my system.

Upon my initial SBS&D install this is what happened:

I deselected skins and languages. All other defaults are left as-is.
    Early in the install, the window title became "File Download" (Setup is now downloading additional files to your computer.)
    File: updallocator.php (1 of 1)
    Connecting to 89.238.64.39

Then an error window pops up saying:
    Error sending request
    A connection with the server could not be established.

Retry never works. My connection to the net still works. So i am forced to choose cancel. Spybot says

Ready to Install. So i click install. Then an error window pops up saying:

Error sending request

In the desperate hopes of stopping this spyware infection i navigate back in the installer and under

"Select Components" i deselect "Download updates immediately" (hoping that the SBSD binary package already has what it needs to kill some spyware). I leave all 4 of the options in their default state and click "Finish".

A DOSbox window briefly pops up - small font and the only word i catch fleetingly is "invalid". I've seen this during most if not all XP installations.

I get to step 5 of 7 in the Wizard "Search for updates" and just as in the first install i keep getting an error window saying
    "Error retrieving update info file!". No hint as to what *kind* of error. My net connection still works fine.

I was not able to Immunize this time for some reason.

I go to Search & Destroy and get Yet Another Error Window that reads: You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater. OK...
    (different looking window though - the one with the S&D longo instead of the generic error window).

So i Click on "Update" and I get the "Error retrieving update info file!"

Round and round, but no joy. I decide to uninstall and try again.
    I got this error message when trying to Uninstall SBS&D (Ran as administrator too):

Service "SBSD Security Center Service" failed to uninstall with error: "System Error. Code: 1060.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

Then TeaTimer came in asking me what to do next. Ugh.
    I let it make the changes (althought the language used is terribly *vague* as to which choice is really which), then i rebooted.

SBS&D was no longer on mys Vista Home Pro system. Hooray. Time to try again:

-----------------------
    Install attempt #2:
    =======================

So i ran the installer again - this time using "Run As Administrator".

Early in the install, the window title became "File Download" (Setup is now downloading additional files

to your computer.)
    File: updallocator.php (1 of 1)
    Connecting to 89.238.64.39

Then an error window pops up saying:
    Error sending request

Retry never works. My connection to the net still works. So i am forced to choose cancel. Spybot says

Ready to Install. So i click install. Then an error window pops up saying:

Error sending request

So in the desperate hopes of stopping this spyware infection i navigate back in the installer and under

"Select Components" i deselect "Download updates immediately" (hoping that the SBSD binary package already has what it needs to kill some spyware). I leave all 4 of the options in their default state and click "Finish".

Again a DOSbox window pops up - this time the font appears larger (!) and it lasts longer but i get no "invalid" error in it.

I get to step 5 of 7 in the Wizard "Search for updates" and just as in the first install i keep getting an error window saying "Error retrieving update info file!". No hint as to what *kind* of error.

I was able to Immunize this time (but not having and up to date definitions leave me feeling vulnerable).

I go to Search & Destroy and get Yet Another Error Window that reads:
    You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater. I click [ OK ] ...
    (different looking window though - the one with the S&D logo instead of the generic error window).

So i Click on Update and once again, i get the "Error retrieving update info file!"

Argh. Now what?
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-11-10 at 20:05. Reason: Disabled link to rogue

Arrow VISfdw.exe

Update: This come-on inducement to buy their crapware is said to connect to their servers and download more and more malicious code. the offending executable is called VISfdw.exe and in my case was located in ...username\AppData\Roaming\Google

So i tried running Anti-Malware and it too was blocked from their servers when trying to update.

So I'm wondering if perhaps this nasty is smart enough to obstruct communications with servers from the popular anti spy/malware tools out there.

Hello, sorry to hear of the problems.

If you can find the file/s, please zip and send to: detections(AT)spybot.info (Replace AT with @)

Please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) to produce a HJT log.

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum

Once you have posted a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Arrow VISfdw and winlogone

I've emailed the suspect file and a suspicious DLL.

winlogone appears to be the startup task that gets this all rolling.

This HJT thingy is new to me and it looks complicated- and i'm late for work and a dental appt. Is this critical for me to do today?

Also, what about the problems during the SBS&D install onto Vista Home? Seen anything like that before?

SaganGathering's topic in the malware forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36266
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016