Thread: Help please!

Default Help please!

I just downloaded Spybot, and while it worked fine straight away on my old computer, I can't get it to scan on my new one. It *says* it is, but it takes like two seconds and doesn't seem to actually scan anything! How do I set which drives it should scan? I can't find anything in the settings, faq or help.

Thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It doesn’t sound like you are checking of all possible detections. In the status bar, during a scan, you should see the display "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)". After the 2005-11-11 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
    • Without Usage tracks - 31280
    • With Usage tracks – 33879
    The first thing to try is to exit Spybot, restart it and try again.

If that does not correct the problem, look in Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (say “Yes” to the warning if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. You should see a list like the one in the attachment below.

Make sure that the list is complete. If the list is complete, make sure that everything is checked except the possibly the last two items. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs. The second is other "Usage Tracks".

If the list is not complete, try downloading and executing the following manual update file (spybotsd_includes.exe) and see if the File Sets list gets updated properly. The file is available from safer-networking.org:
    • Detection updates 2005-11-11 - product description
      md5: E4AB410287F9B856B64AE19AE5F7B427

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    Note after downloading the file and before executing it make sure that you exit Spybot.

Please post back with what you find. The problem with just a small number of items being search immediately after the installation of Spybot 1.4 has occurred before. In the past I recommended another method to fix the problem. But that method was more involved and I think that the downloading and executing spybotsd_includes.exe may work just as well to fix the problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.