Thread: Windows Media Player and SpyBot...

Arrow Windows Media Player and SpyBot...

I've been having the same problem for the last 5 -6 years that I have been using SpyBot. I have asked this question many times before but never recieved any help, so I am again asking, hopeing someone will reply...

When I install SpyBot (doesn't matter which version, but I always install the newest version directly from Safer-Networking), it installs perfectly with absolutely no problems, updates no problem and does everything it's suppose to do with no problem.

But once installed and I try to use Windows Media Player, then a few problems become obvious.

1.) Any visualization I want to use in Media Player starts, then freezes.

2.) The bar that moves along the bottom of media player does not move for 13 - 15 seconds, then jumps to 31 - 33 seconds.

The music or video plays fine, there are no problems there. But the above mentioned always happens. However if I enable TeaTimer, then the music skips or stutters badly.

The only way I found to fix this is to remove SpyBot, then do a system restore (I have to do a system restore because Media Player keeps working the way I said above if I don't).

Media Player works perfectly before SpyBot is installed but does not after the install. It makes no difference if an Anti-Virus is installed or not, because I thought of that and removed the anti-virus with the very same results.

I also tried a fresh install of Windows without and with all updates etc and still got the same results.

I don't want to stop using SpyBot because I trust it more then any other software, but at the same time I don't want to have to install it, scan my system, remove it the do a system restore everytime I want to use Media Player..

Does any one know how I can solve this?

That sounds very spooky. Does the pure installation trigger this, or only after fixing some entries. including usage tracks? Or after immunization? SDHelper enabled or disabled? But 5 or 6 years ago, there was no SDHelper.

Which media player version? 5 years ago, WMP might have been twhat, version 7? Today its at 11...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    That sounds very spooky. Does the pure installation trigger this, or only after fixing some entries. including usage tracks? Or after immunization? SDHelper enabled or disabled? But 5 or 6 years ago, there was no SDHelper.

Which media player version? 5 years ago, WMP might have been twhat, version 7? Today its at 11...
    WMP version is 11... Media Player works perfectly before the SpyBot installation... but once its installed, then the problems start.

Spybot does install and scan the way it should... and always has... but if I leave it installed then there are problems, but only with WMP.. or at least its the only problems I see.

It makes no difference if I just install it and then try to play anything in WMP. It does the same thing if I immunize or if I don't. SDHelper can be enabled or disabled... It makes no difference.

Media Player does the same thing whether I play Mp3's, CD's etc...

The only time anything has gone wrong with WMP is immediately after SpyBot is installed... then the only way I've been able to fix it is to uninstall spybot then do a system restore... If I don't do a system restore WMP will still play as though SpyBot is installed and I still have the problems...

BTW I also tried re-installing WMP after I installed SpyBot.. But I still get the same results..

So in answer to your question "Does the pure installation trigger this" , I'd have to say yes it does....
    Last edited by -=[uXu]=-; 2008-11-19 at 05:04.

Question

Anyone have any idea's???