Thread: Flash players – not bundled, malware free?

Default Flash players – not bundled, malware free?

Looking for a clean, non-bundled, spyware-free flash player:

Up until about a month ago, I had no trouble playing flash. I have Adobe’s Macromedia flash player, 9.0.45.0 version. Now, most everywhere they’re requiring a download of the latest version in order to use the website. I want to be able to use the sites, but I have a problem with Adobe.

My primary problem with Adobe is that the last time I downloaded Adobe software, it came bundled with a Google toolbar, which was undisclosed, at the download and in the initializing program. I’m sure many of you experienced the same.

Yes, I always do a custom install, and yes, I always read carefully what I am downloading; there was no opt-out for the extra software and no disclosure that downloading and installing the intended software would also install something else.

When I discovered that the Google toolbar was present, it took a couple of hours for me to ferret it out, in my registry, where it had embedded itself everywhere. Frankly, I’m still not sure I have it all out, since not every entry associated with the Google toolbar had the word “Google,” contained in it.

Part of the registry entries was instructions to send information back to Google, from my computer. As far as I’m concerned, this makes it spyware, especially since it was put on my computer without my foreknowledge and permission. I don’t trust Adobe as far as I could throw my computer.

So, now that so many websites are requiring the updated flash player, my questions are:

- I wonder whether Spybot has determined whether Adobe flash player contains spyware, allowing them to track and collect information about your use of their product?
    - Is there any alternative to Adobe’s flash player, that’s compatible with websites requiring an updated version of Adobe’s flash player?
    - And if not, does someone know how I can get a clean, non-bundled, spyware free copy of Adobe’s flash player?
    I appreciate any help you may have, with this.

Lightbulb

The Adobe Flash Flayer is the only flash player so I'm afraid your stuck with it although The latest version (found HERE) gives you the option to not install the Google Toolbar. As-far-as-I-Know Adobe Flash player doesn't contain any Spyware, if it did we'd know about it!
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-11-17 at 12:54. Reason: Added extra info
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Smile Flash Gordon!

Hi I_dream_of_Mercury,

I wonder whether Spybot has determined whether Adobe flash player contains spyware, allowing them to track and collect information about your use of their product?
    Although I cannot confirm anything, Spybot S&D does not see Adobe Flash Player as spyware because as-far-as im aware, any 'tracking' comes from the 3rd party apps bundled with the software (ie Google Toolbar)

My primary problem with Adobe is that the last time I downloaded Adobe software, it came bundled with a Google toolbar, which was undisclosed, at the download and in the initializing program. I’m sure many of you experienced the same.
    I have had Adobe products offering to install Google products but each time there has been an option to 'opt-out' (however it is debatable how clear the option is! )
    Im not too sure about this but, when downloading previous versions of Flash there has been an option to install other 3rd party apps on the actual Adobe website - This may have been the case here.

Is there any alternative to Adobe’s flash player, that’s compatible with websites requiring an updated version of Adobe’s flash player?
    I do know on various linux distros, the G-Streamer plugin is quite popular, however I:
    1. don't know if it is compatible with Windows
    2. think it is less stable (and slower) than Adobe Flash Player.

A search also came up with Gnash Player

Again, I actually see Adobe Flash Player as being more stable and faster than some other plugins, notably G-Streamer (on xubuntu at least)

...does someone know how I can get a clean, non-bundled, spyware free copy of Adobe’s flash player?
    Adobe Flash Player 10 is out - Might be worth a try. Instead of downloading it directly from Adobe, try downloading the installer from a reputable download site such as Majorgeeks.com or Filehippo.com

- Filehippo - Flash Player 10.0.12.36 (IE)
    - Filehippo - Flash Player 10.0.12.36 (Non-IE)
    - Majorgeeks - Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36 IE (see link at bottom for other browsers)

Hope that helps (and sorry for the looong post!),

honda

I'm just resurrecting this thread to say a belated Thank-you!, to honda and Terminator, for your replies.

honda, I especially appreciate your providing so much info. I actually had a look at the couple of alternative flash programs, Gnash that you mention and one other. But I far as I can tell, they aren't compatible with the websites that are requiring Adobe (formerly Macromedia) flash software, which is just about all of them. It's pretty much an effective monopoly, on flash software.

I was glad to discover Filehippo, from your links, and I also found, somehow through this forum, softwarepatch.com, both of which look pretty reliable. I found an apparently clean and un-bundled copy of Adobe Flash. It was when I decided to update my Shockwave program that I found again, the Google toolbar had been bundled. Again, there was no notice that you'd be downloading it to your computer, but at least this time, I was able to prevent it from installing.

Adobe does, in fact, collect data on your usage of their software. You can see details of this, and manage your privacy and your flash program, to the extent they will allow, at these links: http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager02.html (notice that there are six tabs, with different settings to manage, here), and http://www.adobe.com/misc/optout.htm...Submit=Opt-out. I've found that if you clamp down the privacy settings on the settings manager very much, flash won't work on many sites. But at least maybe you want to disallow every site you visit from having access to your mic and webcam!

Thanks again!

As long you don't install the bundled 3rd party apps, that is good. To me, it would be a waste of effort to find a 'slim' version of Adobe Flash Player. A majority of websites use Flash for videos, animations, and banners, thus inevitably leads you to download Adobe Flash Player.

Data collection or not, you'll eventually need Flash to see what other websites has to show you. To me it's like merely tracking cookies. I'm positive that Adobe will only go as far as to see what sites are using their Flash Players and how often.