Thread: Very very slow to load v1.6

Default Very very slow to load v1.6

Spybot 1.6.0.30 loads very slowly - it takes about 3 - 4 minutes to go from clicking on the desktop icon to actually being in the program. While loading, the green bars go fully across the progress indicator in a reasonable amount of time, but then the program seems to just stay there for a few minutes before opening into the main window.

Is this normal? If not, do you have ideas as to what the problem might be?

The system is XP, 2gig ram, with Norton AV. I tried turning off Norton AV, but it made no difference.

I do notice that the process CCSVCH.EXE (a Norton / Symantec item) is listed twice on Windows Task Manager.
    It listed once under the user name "system", and then again under the users logon name. Don't know if this is relevant or normal though.

Thanks for considering my question,

Harry

Harry6,

3 - 4 minutes is a very long time, on my XP SP3 system it takes 4 seconds from the time I double click on the desktop icon to the time the main Spybot page is open (I am running Spybot 1.6.1.33)

You don't say what the CPU speed or processor model/type is (P2, P3, P4, Core2 Duo etc) and that would have some bearing, but unless it is a very old slow processor it should not be to the extent of minutes.

My suggestion is to make sure your temporary files are all cleaned out. These are any temporary files or folders in c:\Windows\temp, and c:\documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\temp.

Go to Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Cleanup. Run the cleanup for drive C:(The operating system drive), and make sure the first 6 items are ticked.

You might also cleanout any browser caches, cookie stores and also defragment your operating system drive.