Thread: Cannot turn off secure-unsecure popups

Default Cannot turn off secure-unsecure popups

I used Spybot to remove an infection with Virtumonde a couple months ago. At some point during the virus removal process, I must have blocked a process or change and now I cannot make changes to my IE settings.

I can access Internet Options, make any changes I want and save, but it will not retain the settings. I can change my homepage with no problem, it will save that, but nothing I configure on the advanced tab. I have unchecked every possible setting I can find for IE in Spybot but can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me how to get control of IE back? The pop-ups are driving me nuts.

The only option in Spybot that is relevant in IE is to lockdown the Internet Options" option in Tools to prevent abuse/misuse or unauthorized changes. If you have unticked that I am not sure what else it may be, I'm definitely sure it was not Spybot. I'm suspecting that it may be the malware.

What pop-ups?

The IE pop-ups warning that you are leaving a secure website or about to enter a secure zone. I can click "do not show this message" but it won't save the setting.

Any malware symptoms? Slow computer?
    -
    Run a scan with Spybot and see what it detects. Make sure you have the latest version.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

kymmi88:

What Windows OS do you have and what version of Internet Explorer are you running?

Do you have either of the following registry entries?

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
    "AdvancedTab"=dword:00000001
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
    "AdvancedTab"=dword:00000001
    Those entries apparently lock the settings on the Advanced Tab in IE's Internet Options.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and IE 7.0. I have Spybot version 1.6. I ran a scan and it just found tracking cookies: DoubleClick, FastClick, RightMedia and Zedo.

My computer hasn't slowed down at all that I've noticed, and neither of those entries are in my registry.

I tried resetting IE to default settings and that didn't work either.

I finally found the solution so I thought I would share it.

I needed to create the following key "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" as a DWORD value within
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" and set to 0.

Still don't know why it started happening but thank goodness its fixed.