Thread: spybot 1.6 scan takes a long time now

Default spybot 1.6 scan takes a long time now

Normally it will takes about 45 min to scan my pc with spybot 1.6 but now it seems to take at least 4 hours and is still scanning. The scan is in the advance mode with the Tea-timer disabled but I do not think thats the reason. I still have my usual Ad-aware, AVG8.0 and Superanti spyware installed but they were "not scanning" whle spybot is running. I have cleared all the cookies, temp files etc and defraged the harddisk but to no avail. Is there any reason why it takes such a long time to scan now?

It isn't just you. In fact, I FOUND your thread by searching for the very same issue. I've been using this program for quite a while now and have never had this much of an issue. I think the longest it has run is maybe 20 minutes! But now...as of recently, it is taking way over an hour.....and I end up shutting it down before the sucker is finished. I don't have 1.6. I have the 1.5.morenumbers here. Running Vista (but have been for awhile).....have PLENTY of harddrive space left..running on 2mbs RAM....all that good stuff. Still....right now, it has been 1.5 hours and is only half done!! UGH!

What is up with that?? Nothing runs in the background, either (other than the critical things as Avira). Nothing has changed in my laptop habits since before....so what gives??

Quote Originally Posted by carrie640 View Post
    running on 2mbs RAM....all that good stuff. Still....right now, it has been 1.5 hours and is only half done!! UGH!
    You mean 2GB? With 2MB, you can't even bootup your machine.

Have you tried the latest beta version of Spybot?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    You mean 2GB? With 2MB, you can't even bootup your machine.

Have you tried the latest beta version of Spybot?
    LOL Yes...I had been so used to being in the OLD system upstairs!

well, the first poster said that is what their version is and it is bogging down, but I attempted the download. However, when it goes to update on the install, it makes no communication with the server and errors out.

Hm. Well, the latest stable version is 1.6.0.30, the latest beta in testing is 1.6.1.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36807
    -
    I was just wondering if installing the latest beta will improve the situation.

I'll give that a shot, as well thanks for the link!

carrie640,

In addition to updating as suggested by drragostea, try doing the Spybot scan with your AV turned OFF (off line of course).

Most AV programs now have some antispyware capability, and when Spybot opens a file to scan it, the AV software cuts in and scans it too.

On July 9th 2008 Spybot updates, just after the introduction of version 1.6 contained 176,938 rules. The last update on 26th November 2008 contained 340,806 rules, an increase in just 4 months of 92 percent, or nearly double, and any additional scanning introduced by the AV system will make this situation worse.

I would also recommend turning Teatimer off whilst doing a Spybot scan, and particularly during the "fixing" of any items it may find.

I am getting a connection error when installing when it tries to add additional files to my laptop....and yes, I am connected to the internet. This happened with the first new version and the beta. *SNIFF* UGH. I will try the scan with everything disabled on my current version.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

carrie640:

shah602tw seems to have started this thread (spybot 1.6 scan takes a long time now) looking for an explanation of why a scan using Spybot 1.6 is taking a long time to scan.

You on the other hand indicate:

Quote Originally Posted by carrie640 View Post
    It isn't just you. … I don't have 1.6. I have the 1.5.morenumbers here. Running Vista … What is up with that?? ....so what gives??
    There is a significant difference between the scan times with Spybot "… 1.5.morenumbers …" and Spybot 1.6.

Assuming that you were running an old version of Spybot and are now attempting to upgrade to Spybot 1.6 on a Windows Vista system and are getting an error during the installation that you did not spell out (cite) during the execution of the installation program (spybotsd160.exe), I suggest the following:
    1. Elevate the administrative rights for running the installation program (spybotsd160.exe):
      • Instead of double clicking (left clicking) to start spybotsd160.exe, right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    2. Skip trying to updating during the installation and update after the installation, making sure that you authorize program SDUpdate.exe to access the internet via your firewall. Read my suggestion in post #5 of this thread:

If the above suggestions do not work, rather than disrupt the thread that shah602tw started for their problem, please start your own thread (New Thread) in the Spybot-S&D forum indicating:
    1. What windows OS you are running.
    2. What program you are executing when the error occurs.
    3. The specific error message that you are receiving.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Basically I reformatted my pc and its now back to abt 30-40 min to scan the pc. This is after I have tried all other avenues such as HJ,Malware scan etc and all failed to reveal any 'potent' infections. I can only say sonwehere in my old system, something has interfer with the spybot 1.6 scan.